What's new
What's new

Blueprint symbols

I think we would have to SEE the drawings. Or were you hoping for someone to drop in at your shop?

There are numerous on-line and printed sources of such information. I suggest you start at your local library and check out a book or two.

I have very much enjoyed the replies in this thread. I'm not going to go so far as labeling the OP's question stupid, but like so many newbies, did not do his homework first. First problem, there is no standard practiced by all. You will find a lot of corporate norms enforced within a corporation. There will be some symbology that will appear more common across corporations than others, but in many cases the symbology used will be corporation specific.

I have very much enjoyed the replies in this thread. I'm not going to go so far as labeling the OP's question stupid, but like so many newbies, did not do his homework first. First problem, there is no standard practiced by all. You will find a lot of corporate norms enforced within a corporation. There will be some symbology that will appear more common across corporations than others, but in many cases the symbology used will be corporation specific.
Isn't this what the standards were developed for?

OP, what standard does your drawing use? It should say in the title-block something like "Interpret Drawing IAW ASME Y14.100-2013". Referring to that ASME standard will tell you what the symbols mean. If it doesn't tell you, then the symbols are likely proprietary to the company that did the drawings and you would have to ask them.

Isn't this what the standards were developed for?

OP, what standard does your drawing use? It should say in the title-block something like "Interpret Drawing IAW ASME Y14.100-2013". Referring to that ASME standard will tell you what the symbols mean. If it doesn't tell you, then the symbols are likely proprietary to the company that did the drawings and you would have to ask them.

This is a huge issue across the world. There are thousands of standards in every industry across the world, but unless they are enforced, are nothing but guide lines, not standards. My pet peeve.

Hardly anyone goes to them anymore and our Nation is suffering because they don't. But there no doubt is a Public Library in your city, probably several of them and you can read books there or check them out to take home.

This is a huge issue across the world. There are thousands of standards in every industry across the world, but unless they are enforced, are nothing but guide lines, not standards. My pet peeve.

Even then, if the drawing was made with a specific standard as a "guideline" and it reference what guideline was used, that is a starting point that will more than likely answer most of his questions.

I'll be honest, we mark our drawings with ASME standards, but I bet very few of our draftsman/engineers have the standard memorized. And very few read the new one when we change to a new one. We generally catch glaring mistakes but there is always going to be some ambiguity and "open to interpretation" within the standards. They aren't meant to be specifically defining guidance for every situation, they are meant to tighten up the "shotgun pattern" so we aren't scattered quite as far across the map on how we do drawings.

Even then, if the drawing was made with a specific standard as a "guideline" and it reference what guideline was used, that is a starting point that will more than likely answer most of his questions.

I'll be honest, we mark our drawings with ASME standards, but I bet very few of our draftsman/engineers have the standard memorized. And very few read the new one when we change to a new one. We generally catch glaring mistakes but there is always going to be some ambiguity and "open to interpretation" within the standards. They aren't meant to be specifically defining guidance for every situation, they are meant to tighten up the "shotgun pattern" so we aren't scattered quite as far across the map on how we do drawings.

More importantly if it's in the Title block, there is no discussion. Either it is to print or it is not. Can you offer an example of Ambiguity when it comes to ASME Y14.100-2013

More importantly if it's in the Title block, there is no discussion. Either it is to print or it is not. Can you offer an example of Ambiguity when it comes to ASME Y14.100-2013

I don't have any examples immediately available, especially regarding the 2013 standard. The specific case that I dealt with is too far gone for me to recall the details; it was back when we were still using the 2004 standard. I quickly skimmed that one to see if it would spark any memories but it did not. That being said, it was a big deal, we got a bunch of engineers in a room and nobody could agree on which way was the right way IAW with the standard. We deferred to CM (who had some really interesting interpretations of the standard) and he told us how to do it (he was the final authority). He is no longer in that position...

Back