What's new
What's new

Bolt Cutter?

Status
Not open for further replies.

K&H

Plastic
Anyone know of... or heard of... Anything that would work?

I have a lot of 3/8" bolts to cut off. The only thing visible, is the nut and usually a small bit of the bolt sticking through. (technically you can wiggle a wrench in to get to the bolt head) I keep thinking there MUST be something out there... A powered pincher tool of some sort.

I cut a lot of them...
*Taking each one apart with wrenches (impacts) is far too time consuming.
*Air chisels are too slow, and your hands will still be vibrating at the end of the day.
*Torch is too time consuming, and run the risk of nicking the part...
*Simply tightening them with an impact to snap them off almost works, except that many are rusted so the socket slips, and the ones that DO snap off, you fight too long to the the nut back out of the socket.

There must be something out there that can "pinch" off the nut? Something powered? Air, electric, hydraulic...

Thanks,
Charlie

Here's a link to one that should work for your 3/8" nuts(standard 9/16" AF?) Enerpac NC-1319 Hydraulic Nut Splitters

Anyone know of... or heard of... Anything that would work?

I have a lot of 3/8" bolts to cut off. The only thing visible, is the nut and usually a small bit of the bolt sticking through. (technically you can wiggle a wrench in to get to the bolt head) I keep thinking there MUST be something out there... A powered pincher tool of some sort.

I cut a lot of them...
*Taking each one apart with wrenches (impacts) is far too time consuming.
*Air chisels are too slow, and your hands will still be vibrating at the end of the day.
*Torch is too time consuming, and run the risk of nicking the part...
*Simply tightening them with an impact to snap them off almost works, except that many are rusted so the socket slips, and the ones that DO snap off, you fight too long to the the nut back out of the socket.

There must be something out there that can "pinch" off the nut? Something powered? Air, electric, hydraulic...

Thanks,
Charlie

Have you ever seen one of these that the blade sits horizontal instead of vertical? I can get at the bolts (nuts) from one direction... With those, you need to be able to get to 180* to get the nut off clean.

Sears (and others) make sockets for this purpose, but I have never tried them.

Sears.com

You may have to build your own socket, with teeth like a pipe wrench or basin wrench has. A quick shot of PB Blaster would help, as would a little heat from the blue wrench.

Or plasma torch.

I don't see how you could pinch the bolt off without distorting it - then you'd [probably] have trouble removing it.

Sears (and others) make sockets for this purpose, but I have never tried them.

Sears.com

You may have to build your own socket, with teeth like a pipe wrench or basin wrench has. A quick shot of PB Blaster would help, as would a little heat from the blue wrench.

For those sockets, you still need to spend time removing the nut from the socket. As for the PB Blaster and heat... That would make them turn, but I'm looking for the fastest way to remove them. Heat, PB Blaster, Unique sockets, would all work fine to remove the nut, doing just one or two... or 20. But I'm looking for speed, the fastest possible way to remove them. I do somewhere between 1500 and 2000 of them, in as short of time as possible.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back