What's new
What's new

Bonding neoprene

henrya

Titanium
I want to glue/bond 2 pieces of 1 inch thick neoprene (80 durometer) to make as close as possible a 2 inch thick single piece. I want a cylinder 2 inches tall and 3 inches in diameter.

I can cut the disks from a 1 inch sheet with a hole saw at just a smidge over 3" diameter (drop from a 3.25" hole saw). I already have the 1" sheet neoprene and the saw. I want the two inch thick piece to fit into a 3 inch deep x 3.1 inch diameter hole in tubing along with metal adjustment parts. These parts will be adjustable pads for a machine base. The neoprene will be on a concrete floor extending maybe 1/4 to 3/4" from the tubing. Extension of neoprene will vary according to floor flatness and level. A screw and plate from above will allow adjustments for height and leveling.

So the question is: is there an adhesive that will make the two pieces of neoprene the equivalent of a single piece of neoprene? Or do I need to find 2 inch thick neoprene?

Or if I'm causing trouble with the feet being too squishy should I use a different material or method? I don't need it wiggling. The machine weighs about 900 pounds and will sit on 4 feet.

Any ideas welcomed.

I've had some success using tire patch glue (monkey grip) and treating the neoprene like i was patching a tire, buffing with a hack saw blade or sand paper, letting the glue set then pressing the pieces together. That thick, you will need some pressure when sticking the pieces together- metal plates on the outside and put in a vise.

Pliobond is good for bonding rubber to rubber or to steel.
http://www.amazon.com/PLIOBOND-PBC-20-Pliobond/dp/B000DZD0FY

One inch thick, or even less, may be good for your application. Why not try three of your disks, with steel plates on top, under the machine before you make the tubes, etc.? See how stable the machine seems.

My commercial machine mounts have relatively thin rubber components. For instance, Barry Controls makes nice ones.
http://www.barrycontrols.com/defenseandindustrial/productselectionguide/data/LMSeries.aspx
http://www.barrycontrols.com/defens...ail-d7ecc368-9009-43f3-8d05-263824f1b603.aspx

Larry

Loctite do adhesives for rubber/neoprene/plastics bonding. You will need to contact the technical department to get the right number and, possibly, the right primer. I've had great success with the stuff used for bonding the ends of O rings made from strip material. Easily stands up to moderate stretching. I imaging that whatever they sell you for neoprene will work just as well.

Clive

As the neoprene will be in compression I am not sure what your glue will be doing as there will be no forces to seperate the rubber faces. I would cut a disc of metal( or hardwood?) and use that as the foot and load equaliser, so only the metal (wood?) part sticks out under the tube, then there can only be "up and down" movement of the leg. Then use you neoprene block/washer? between this piston and the actual fixed part. I think if you have 3/4" of rubber poking out under the legs then there could be a lot of side to side movement.
With such a thick block of neoprene, I would think that its compression under load could be totaly determined by the amount of space it can bulge into. i.e. The side clearance between your rubber bung and the hole its sitting in.
With 4 feet and 900 lbs = 230 lbs/foot, 3" dia = pi X 1.5 ^2 sq ins ~7 sq ins, so pressure ~ 30 psi. Just looked up Durometer on Wiki, none the wiser, but it says that Durometer test A, would give a car tyre result of 75, how does this compare to your stuff?
Frank

For what it's wort I use regular thin cyanoacrylate (super glue) to stick neoprene to various materials where joint flexibility isn't an issue, like this magnetic mahogany stick:

droshroud02.jpg

Sets super fast, sticks like crazy.

snipped......
With such a thick block of neoprene, I would think that its compression under load could be totaly determined by the amount of space it can bulge into. i.e. The side clearance between your rubber bung and the hole its sitting in.
With 4 feet and 900 lbs = 230 lbs/foot, 3" dia = pi X 1.5 ^2 sq ins ~7 sq ins, so pressure ~ 30 psi. Just looked up Durometer on Wiki, none the wiser, but it says that Durometer test A, would give a car tyre result of 75, how does this compare to your stuff?
Frank

The hole is 3.10 in diameter, the neoprene is 3.060 as it drops from the holesaw. (I cut one to see) I'm figuring that under load the neoprene will "squoosh" to fill the hole nicely.

When it's on a level and smooth floor I might have only a 1/4" or so rubber exposed below the tubing. But if the floor is not so level I might have 3/4" showing to get it all level. The machine may get moved (infrequently) but I'd like to be able to use it where I want it and level it quickly without jack-legging or half-assed rigging.

The neoprene is about as hard as a car tire. Its 80 durometer which is higher than your number but I think it feels a tiny bit softer than a car tire to my fingernail.

I want to glue/bond 2 pieces of 1 inch thick neoprene (80 durometer) to make as close as possible a 2 inch thick single piece. I want a cylinder 2 inches tall and 3 inches in diameter.

I can cut the disks from a 1 inch sheet with a hole saw at just a smidge over 3" diameter (drop from a 3.25" hole saw). I already have the 1" sheet neoprene and the saw. I want the two inch thick piece to fit into a 3 inch deep x 3.1 inch diameter hole in tubing along with metal adjustment parts. These parts will be adjustable pads for a machine base. The neoprene will be on a concrete floor extending maybe 1/4 to 3/4" from the tubing. Extension of neoprene will vary according to floor flatness and level. A screw and plate from above will allow adjustments for height and leveling.

So the question is: is there an adhesive that will make the two pieces of neoprene the equivalent of a single piece of neoprene? Or do I need to find 2 inch thick neoprene?

Or if I'm causing trouble with the feet being too squishy should I use a different material or method? I don't need it wiggling. The machine weighs about 900 pounds and will sit on 4 feet.

Any ideas welcomed.

http://www.ossystems.com/

Call them and get a sample of their adhesive. You might also try a product called "aqua seal"

Available here:

http://www.bartswatersports.com/cat...es/Wetsuit_Accessories__Maintenance/index.asp

Tim

Gorilla Glue does not work for glueing neoprene

Since I'm waiting for the industrial supply house to open on Monday to buy some real stuff I tried some Gorilla Glue. I can peel it apart by hand.

If you have a scuba dive shop nearby, stop in and get some wetsuit repair glue. Wetsuits are made of neoprene and over the years I have had to glue mine from cuts and tares. The repair glue works great and stays flexible. I never had a glued joint come apart and some of the repairs are now 15+ years old.
good luck

I'm figuring that under load the neoprene will "squoosh" to fill the hole nicely.

That's how some water/steam/natural gas stopping and tapping equipment works to create a temporary valve when they are fixing a line that they don't want to take out of service.

I big rubber paddle, squashed into the line. Good luck.

Jim

Back