What's new
What's new

Logan Lathes Q's

A month or so ago I went to collect some orchids from an Ag program at a HS down in southern PA on my way home from work in DC. Long story.

The machine related part is that someone donated a Logan 400 lathe to the program, and they were interested in help getting it set up. It is in pretty good shape, although it is stored behind/under the pedestal grinders. sigh. (rolleyes)

The lathe has all the manuals and accessories, but only the remaining gears on the banjo. IOW, it is missing about a dozen change gears.

My Q is, several PM members are currently offering Logan lathes for part out. What gears or QC gearbox retrofits from other models (10"?, 11"?) would fit?

Once the teachers made their interest known, none of us had more time the day of the orchid collection, so I made an appointment to look at the lathe a couple weeks later, on the way home to upstate NY from DC one Friday afternoon. Again, we only had a short time to catalog it, and no time to photocopy the manuals. I did not want to take any materials since they are a long ways from where I live. So any info is useful.

If anyone between Harrisburg & Gettysburg or thereabouts who has professional capability as far as helping set up the lathe for the teachers, and is good at demonstration and coaching to get them started is interested in helping, contact me by PM. You'd be a lot closer than I am.

smt

Logan's website says the QC boxes for the 9" - 11" lathes are the same. Retrofitting one is a different matter -- it's not plug-n-play. You need a different leadscrew, or modify the existing screw.

As for change gears, they are standard 20DP gears, sourceable from all the usual places including Logan's webstore.

Regards.

Finegrain

Logan's website says the QC boxes for the 9" - 11" lathes are the same. Retrofitting one is a different matter -- it's not plug-n-play. You need a different leadscrew, or modify the existing screw.

As for change gears, they are standard 20DP gears, sourceable from all the usual places including Logan's webstore.

Regards.

Finegrain

Eh?

Consulting "Mr Lufkin" says mine are 16 DP....... the 32 tooth is OD 2.125".

Very expensive new from Logan, but available used elsewhere for $5 to $15.....

The Logan group on Yahoo Groups will have the full story on mods needed, etc. I don't think it makes sense to switch to a QC, better to swap machines... but they sound like they are in no position to do that.

Another factor is that the 400 is a 9" machine, and has a short bed, 18" (vs 24" or 30")

Back