What's new
What's new

Boring bar micrometer workaround

Vintagespark

Plastic
I recently purchased a small engine boring machine similar to wvn's cb14101.the problem is I didn't get the micrometer fixture with the machine and purchasing one doesn't seem to be an option.does anyone have any suggestions for a work around.

"wvn's cb14101"
HUH"?
This is where experience with a foreign language can be helpful :)

I'm guessing he bought something like a Van Norman or Kwikway boring bar. On those, the cutter slides into a groove in the bottom of the bar. You preset the cutter in a little fixture that uses a device like a micrometer thimble to set the depth of cut. Then you slide the whole thing in and hit the go button.

If o.p. needs the setting gauge, either buy a new one (if they still make it for the model he has) or watch fleabay. Or put a "wanted" ad here in the commercial section.

Or you could use a micrometer to measure across the edge of the cutter to the back of the toolholding thingy, then take a cut, measure the resulting bore and correlate between the two.

Whoa ! That's certainly upscale. With a new model like that I'd just call them boys up and order whatcha want. I was thinking of these ...

Van%20Norman%20777s%20%284%29.jpg

This is where experience with a foreign language can be helpful :)
To be fair, it was as easy as dragging the cursor over part of his post, hitting right button, selecting "google search for <that which had been highlighted>"

NB: As said, "similar to" still leaves a lot of mystery-space.

Back