What's new
What's new

Boring Mill in S Mich or N Ohio?

Ox

Diamond
Looking for someone with a boring mill with an outboard support ( term ? ) to bore some 6 and 8' diameter steam engine (ag) wheels out.

I tried to doo them w/o one, and the tool was just way too long to be able to doo with a std boring head.

The 6' wheels are around 2000#. I'm sure that the 8' are more.

Probably doesn't require a huge machine. A Y of 48" from the table for the larger wheels. I just think that it will require a support for the boring bar tho. The bore it'self is >4" x 19" long, plus counter-bores and such.

Just lookin' to get a clean bore to sleeve with bronze bushings, so bore size is wide open - as long as it's the same all the way through.

I don't see mills like that around much anymore. (not that I get out much)

Toledo, Detroit, Cleveland, Ft Wayne?

???

------------------------

Think Snow Eh!
Ox

Kiefer Tool or Standard Machine in Cleveland both have a several large horizontal boring mills. I don't have experience with either but I do know that Kiefer seems to be the go to over here for things like that.

I helped the neighbor get an old one up and running, however it's a bit far to mail these wheels.

Is the job simple enough for a portable boring bar ?

Some of the heavy equipment repair places have them on the service trucks.

I helped the neighbor get an old one up and running, however it's a bit far to mail these wheels.

Is the job simple enough for a portable boring bar ?

Some of the heavy equipment repair places have them on the service trucks.

Maybe?

Something like that set-up that Wes built for the skid loader bucket?

Maybe I should try to find that post again?

--------------------------

Think Snow Eh!
Ox

Ox, you are in West Unity (right up the road from me). Use Swanton Weld. They machine all of our bases. Great quality, turn around and cost.

Ox, you are in West Unity (right up the road from me). Use Swanton Weld. They machine all of our bases. Great quality, turn around and cost.

Mark just told me that the only boring mill that they have anymore doesn't even run anymore, and they scrapped the rest.

You must not be getting boring mill work done there.

Anyhow - I get the feeling that y'all doo not understand the machine feature that I am looking for. It's not just a boring mill of X size (those are around - yes) but one that has what is known [I believe] as an outboard support, or I have even seen them listed as a "tailstock". However, I rather doubt that G&L ever called them that?

It is the feature in the foreground in this pic:

27660.jpg

------------------------------

Think Snow Eh!
Ox

Please don't swab me with the "You'all" brush.

I knew and know of what you speak.

This is my neighbors, however (while I think it will go up to 48" high)
He is retired, and not doing much these days.

Attachments

• HPIM0604.jpg
    HPIM0604.jpg
    87.7 KB · Views: 184
  • HPIM0607.jpg
    HPIM0607.jpg
    90.1 KB · Views: 186
Please don't swab me with the "You'all" brush.

I knew and know of what you speak.

This is my neighbors, however (while I think it will go up to 48" high)
He is retired, and not doing much these days.

I knew that you understood.
Please forgive me for not stating that at first. :bowdown:

I should have said "y'most" I guess?

---------------------

Think Snow Eh!
Ox

I know where we get our machine bases done. There is more than one Swanton Weld location. Contact: Steve Clymer @ (419-826-4816).

I know where we get our machine bases done. There is more than one Swanton Weld location. Contact: Steve Clymer @ (419-826-4816).

You getting them done at the Grey's location?
Their number keeps ringing busy right now.
Maybe I should mail Laura ...

-------------------

Think Snow Eh!
Ox

The setups using a long bar with the end support (footstock to some) were mostly used when there was a large separation between bores and the general rule was the table was traveled if possible for best results.

A good HBM man isn’t going to feed the bar through that hole anyway, they’ll lock the bar & bore with the table travel. The stationary bar works fair at 6 to 1 stickouts and much better than fair if the mill has the locking sleeve out front. If the mill has a small enough bar support attachment then they can really get some HP in the cut.

Don’t leave the VBM’s out of the mix, or a really big VTL.

Renting a short 4” portable bar from Climax is a real option (used to be weekly rate). The first one will take you a while to get it mounted (mostly mental). The rest will go better than you think you have a right to. Good chance of running with or better than the boring mill given the size of your parts.

Good luck,
Matt

Didn't follow the first part 100%.
I've never ran one of these before.

But I envision the tool (arbor?) as stationary and the table traversing.
I don't know how else it would be done?

Yeah, I think that a VBM would have a fighting chance on these with a good bar.
I was sticking out 26", but it could be shaved down a bit if we were to take the assembly apart more.

The wheel wanted to hit my toolchanger up above, so - depending on machine lay-out, you could get down to as little as 20-21" stick-out, and with a good 3" bar on a VBM it may not be too bad.

Who is Climax?
That sounds interesting.

Edit:

Google knew who they were.
Popped right up!

--------------------

Think Snow Eh!
Ox

The chances of finding a 8' bullard (VTL) are allot less than a
Horizontal boring mill with a tailstock.

And hence the hourly rate to machine those wheels will be more.

The chances of finding a 8' bullard (VTL) are allot less than a
Horizontal boring mill with a tailstock.

And hence the hourly rate to machine those wheels will be more.

In the Northwest and New England, my experience has been the opposite. A decent number of reasonably priced shops with VTLs, but I've never seen an HBM with an end support.

In the Northwest and New England, my experience has been the opposite. A decent number of reasonably priced shops with VTLs, but I've never seen an HBM with an end support.

That's odd.

Here in Erie, I can name 5 places within 50 miles with the HBM needed,
and probably only 1 shop that has a large VTL.

Back