What's new
What's new

Boring tool holes in 6 station turret

lathehand

Cast Iron
I got a bit carried away and rebuilt a Rivett 618S turret lathe. It is scraped in as close as I am going to achieve and I am ready to bore the tool holes in the turret from the lathe spindle using a 2" dia Criterion offset boring head. The holes are slightly oversize at 0.752", tapered and no longer centered with the spindle. I plan to bore to 0.8125 or 0.875" and install a thin wall steel sleeve w/ Loctite and then either rebore or ream to 0.7505". I do not know the turret material, only that it is file soft.

Looking for suggestions on tooling (1/2" shank) and ideas on how to rig a steady feed. I can use the depth stop screws - 3/8" - 24 for infeed by backing them out smoothly, but doing this by hand may be a problem. It would also require something to provide the feed force. I can use the feed lever somehow - thought of using a screen door spring to pull on the feed lever and then controlling the feed by backing the stop screw out. The problem with that is rigging up a stop at the bottom of the hole. Maybe a dial indicator mounted on the bed and reading the turret slide or a solid stop.

It would be nice to get consistent hole sizes for both the sleeve and the final sizing.

I'm looking for ideas and previous experience.
TIA Carl

I got a bit carried away and rebuilt a Rivett 618S turret lathe. It is scraped in as close as I am going to achieve and I am ready to bore the tool holes in the turret from the lathe spindle using a 2" dia Criterion offset boring head. The holes are slightly oversize at 0.752", tapered and no longer centered with the spindle. I plan to bore to 0.8125 or 0.875" and install a thin wall steel sleeve w/ Loctite and then either rebore or ream to 0.7505". I do not know the turret material, only that it is file soft.

Looking for suggestions on tooling (1/2" shank) and ideas on how to rig a steady feed. I can use the depth stop screws - 3/8" - 24 for infeed by backing them out smoothly, but doing this by hand may be a problem. It would also require something to provide the feed force. I can use the feed lever somehow - thought of using a screen door spring to pull on the feed lever and then controlling the feed by backing the stop screw out. The problem with that is rigging up a stop at the bottom of the hole. Maybe a dial indicator mounted on the bed and reading the turret slide or a solid stop.

It would be nice to get consistent hole sizes for both the sleeve and the final sizing.

I'm looking for ideas and previous experience.
TIA Carl

Can you clamp the turret to the lathe saddle then use power feed to slide the turret towards the boring head? I once did something sort of similar where I used long bolts to attach a "fixed" steady rest to the saddle to support a long part that had arms too big to swing on the lathe. The end of the part was machined with boring head in the lathe chuck. The part was also held by the milling adapter. With a little extra oil the steady rest slid along the ways, worked better than I thought it might.

Clamp a ''large nut'' to the bed behind the turret ram so that the thread lines up with the back of the turret slide (use your imagination - doesn't have to be fancy it's only going to be used once??)

Then use a bit of all thread to push the turret forward - I'm thinking say 1/2'' unf 20 tpi to give a fine feed rate - turned with a low speed battery drill or by hand, with you other hand ''just holding back the forward motion'' to steady things up.

Back