What's new
What's new

Millrite MVN weight?

CCL4

Aluminum
Hello all,
I'm going to pick up what I take to be an early 80's Millrite MVN on Tuesday, and am trying to figure out a minimum trailer weight limit needed to move it safely. It has a variable speed head and power X-feed. Don't know if that helps to narrow the suspects at all. So far I've found information indicating the weight of the older style pulley head models to be around 1200 to 1300. Does anyone know if this model is somewhere in that ballpark? Also, how hard is it to unbolt the head if needed for vertical clearance? Does anyone know if models of this vintage are all R-8 spindle, or if there were less common sizes made too? Thanks for any info.

I have a 1986 Millrite like the one you describe but minus the power feed. It weighs 1270 lbs. Earlier units were made with a BS9 taper as well as R8, but I don't know how long they did that.

I strongly suspect (and hope), that this one has an R8 spindle as well. Thanks for the weight. Seems like it should be fairly manageable to move. I could always pull of the head and or table and put in the back of the truck if I was pushing the limit too far. I appreciate the help.

I've got an older Millrite with the step pulley head, and I'd concur on the weight. Mine has the factory power feed on X, and I doubt it adds more than 20# overall, including the gearmotor and control box.

Its always a good idea to loosen the head and rotate it as near as possible to upside down when handling any turret mill. Goes a long way in lowering the center of gravity.

One other thing, not related to the move.... If yours is like mine, it'll have what appears to be a bunch of grease fittings on the ways, etc. They're for way lube, not grease, and there's a special fitting that'll allow you to pump way lube into them. In days when I was even dumber than I am now, I greased mine. The net effect is much akin to smearing everything up with a good coat of "chip glue", and it takes lots longer to undo the mess than it does to squirt it in there in the first place :D

Yeah I noticed the fittings that you're talking about. For the knee if I remember correctly right? I wondered about what was supposed to be injected in there. If I keep the head mounted, I'll tip it down as you recommended. Do you know whats underneath the sheet metal cover on the newer style variable speed head? I'm wondering if its a cone pulley type of arrangement where adjustment makes the belt ride higher or lower on the one pulley, therefore changing the drive ratio. We have that type of head on our Fryer CNC mill at my work. Thanks.

I've never actually seen one of the variable speed ones, but IIRC Powermatic had both Logan and Millrite by the 80's, so its likely to have the same sort of variable speed arrangement as used on Logan lathes. They have a pair of variable pitch sheaves where one opens and the other closes as you turn the handle, driven by a belt that's about an inch or so wide.

Does a 9'x5' trailer sound reasonable as a way to move the mill? There won't be much space on the sides but my guess is that it should fit. I believe I read that these should fit inside a 4'x4' square. Sound right or not?

Back