What's new
What's new

Brake shoe bonding adhesive

JRIowa

Diamond
I've got to put a new brake on my old Clausing lathe. I've got the brake shoe material from my local auto parts store, but now need the bonding adhesive.

I've looked and looked on the net for something readily available and can't find anything (unless it's made in India). I've looked at both 3M and Devcon sites and didn't really see anything specific to my application. I don't want to buy a large quantity of something that I'll probably never use again.

Does anyone know of something better than just a 2 part epoxy or the real handyman's secert, J-B Weld?
JR

JR,

I have bonded friction material to a brake setup on a small resaw using a Loctite brand gray epoxy. It has never pulled the brake material off the backing and it's stopping a huge rotating mass.

I would bet the adhesive section at your local hardware store would have a high strength two part epoxy that would be just fine...maybe even JB Weld as you mentioned.:)

Stuart

Something "Thermo setting" would be ideal. Epoxy softens at elevated tempertures. Application will determine how hot your bond may get.

Rivets are fool proof at all reasonable tempertures!

That's what I like about this board. Good fast answers.

John,
Which Pliobond did you use on that, the 20, 30, or 30HT. How much do you have left over? Would you take a check for shipping and payment for the remainder?

Stuart,
The local hardware store sells Pliobond and some generic epoxies.

Cal,
The auto parts store can rivet, but Clausing was kind enough to make the brake shoe a solid block of steel.

Thanks!
JR

Devcon glue

I used Devcon 2 part epoxy rated at 200 degrees to make a prony brake which gets very hot, but the heat does not transfer through the lining to the glue joint. So far so good Bob

Clausing Brake pad material

What did you use for the brake pad material. I called Clausing and it has been discontinued. They tell me it was Raybestos 451B. The emailed me the drawing but where do I get this material or a substitute material?

Thanks!

Look at McMaster-Carr- its not a critical application and just about anything will work, or go to a brake shop that relines clutches and truck brake shoes, they probably have a scrap available from the garbage can.

Steve ,places that do antique motorbikes will be able to fix you up with lining .....the heat bonding was problematic because it caused a powerful stink.,and most have gone back to rivets .......dont walk into a brake shop with nos Raybestos.....most have spent millions having the building cleaned up with toothbrushes.

Heitman Spring here in Houston relines brakes....if all else fails you could send it to them. They'd probably charge you, like, $5.

I had the brake shoes from my Colchester and I took them there to ask if they could reline them (if needed which they didn't). The guy there didn't even look at them, he just said "we can put linings on anything"....

Zombie thread alert

I don't know if there are any brake relining places left

They used a material with a heat activated glue already on them ~30 years ago

But that's only 20 years ago in ZombieThread Standard Time.

Here's a thought -- In keeping with the art direction of this site, make any post older than 6 months have an orange header bar, instead of blue.

Back