What's new
What's new

Bridgeport M head

Bellaru433

Aluminum
i have a Bridgeport M head that uses a morse taper 2.. can someone tell me what size collets are used for that.. thank you.

Morse 2 spindle uses Morse 2 collets. These heads also used Brown and Sharpe #7 taper though, which look the same but are not interchangable. In both cases you can use either a tang drive tool which relies on the taper alone to hold the tool in, or you can use tools with draw-bar threads.

The reason I ask is because I have a few collets that came with the machine that I normally use the drawbar with but I also wanted to get A collet block to hold parts in the mill vise and just thought that I would be able to get a Collett block set that would also work in my mill as far as the collets go but I only see the collet block set for 5C Collets.. do you know if they make a collet block set that uses the morse taper 2 collets you talked about..
I also have a South Bend 10 heavy and day South Bend 9C would the 5C collets work in those machines if I were forced to get the 5C collet block set.. thank you for your help

Not something you'll really easily find, I won't say never because someone may have made one. The reason is Morse taper was intended as a hold tooling taper, and a 2MT tops out at 1/2 inch capacity. The 5C collet was designed as a means of work holding and you can pass bar stock of just over an inch completely thru the collet. If the South Bend Heavy 10 is a "10L" (not the 10R) then it can accept a 5C in the spindle with an adapter. SBL made both a lever action closer and a handwheel closer for that lathe. The spindle of the 10R is too small as are all the 9 inch SB lathes. Another to collet to consider is the ER collet which comes in various size ranges (ER-16, 20, 32 to a name a few).

Don't think anyone ever commercially made such a thing. Both Morse and B&S 7 collets only go up to 1/2", so using them for work holding would really limit your job capacity.

5C collets are very common for work holding in lathes and collet blocks. I'd go that route.

You *can* make your own collet blocks. Hex or square CRS stock, you need to set it up and indicate
the bore very closely for them to be useful. I did this years ago, for 3C collets, same reason.

Problem with making those 2MT is, the morse angle is self-holding. You'd need to push really hard
to get the collet back *out* of the block.

Buy a (relatively) inexpensive set of 5C blocks.

I did this years ago, for 3C collets, same reason.

I believe the South Bend 9" lathe can use 3C collets. So that may explain why you made them. But being south bend there must be lots of 3c sets out there.
Bill D

You *can* make your own collet blocks. Hex or square CRS stock, you need to set it up and indicate
the bore very closely for them to be useful. I did this years ago, for 3C collets, same reason.

Problem with making those 2MT is, the morse angle is self-holding. You'd need to push really hard
to get the collet back *out* of the block.

Buy a (relatively) inexpensive set of 5C blocks.

Hardinge made 3C collet blocks back in 1907. I have one complete with the rest, but I have never seen another. I often use a smaller 10 mm collet version made by Levin to slot screws and it works great.

Larry

Screw slotting device.jpg

" I have one complete with the rest, but I have never seen another. "

Never did photograph that set I made - and the set has since been given away to a friend who
had an atlas that took 3Cs.

And yes, I made them because at the time I was running a 9" southbend model A, and had a small sloan and
chace milling machine that was a bit undersized for fitting anything large in the vise.

Actually a fun project to make those, set them up in the lathe chuck to bore them, careful to get them indicated
in real true on all axes.

Yeah I guess I'll just go ahead and get me a collet block set..my SB 10 heavy have the spindle changed out to the larger diameter ,,the 10 L,, so I guess I can use the 5C collets there too,, thank you everyone for your help ..

Back