What's new
What's new

Brierley ZB-25 drill grinder

millwrong

Aluminum
I'm looking for anyone who might have a manual for this grinder.Or,alternatively, some direction in regards to the cams. I've found a manual online, however it is incomplete. The stamped numbers on the cams I have, don't appear to match the online parts breakdown numbers.
Anyone have a copy?

That looks similar to one we have in the tool room. I'm not sure that we have a manual , but will look.

from memory, to sharpen a drill

1 set angle of chuck axis to 118° (that was the easy bit to remember)
2, set chuck axis about 5° up
3, fit small two lobe cam

under the chuck axis is a locking mechanism that allows the rocking action to be engaged (sort of shoot bolt) , this needs to be engaged to rock.

4, Rotate chuck and lock with topmost latch to R (for rh twist or L for left)
5, mount drill in chuck using the flip-up gauge to align flutes and length (scale on our gauge is mm diameter of drill) - release topmost lock

There are adjustments for cam motion , but i think I've always used 1 or 0.

The drill should them oscillate and bob in and out when the handle is turned , in a way that magically sharpens the drill

clear as mud?

Bill

"clear as mud?"

Thanks kindly! As clear as the G&T I spilled on my shirt and squeezed back into my glass...
Seriously, I appreciate any bones that are thrown my way!:cheers:

Hi, I have just purchased the ZB25 but it has NO cams 😢 I think I can make them, but could someone who has one measure the height of the top of the lobe on a #4 cam to give me a starting point please? As the drill should have 12 degree rake I assume a 6 degree angle back from there on the cam (half 12 due to the 1:2 ratio) should do the trick. Can anyone assist? Many thanks from Down Under

Hi, many thanks for your replies. I am after the cam dimensions for standard RH drill grinding. Sorry if I got the cam number wrong. Also, I measured the machine and it will take a 1-1/4” drill, so I think it may be a ZB32.

Chester machines took brierly over, I got some cams off them for a 25, their the same as the 32, odd numbers are left hand from memory (dopey 5s lunys chucked the cams in the scrap when I was on holiday, who does that?
Anyway they are still available, I don’t have access to one since retirement, it was a wonderful little machine, could grind anything if you could figure out the instructions, lots of hand drawn and written stuff in there, back clearance was hit or miss though the guage did help!, there’s a few owners on HSM in the states, cams are easy to make, the ones with it are Ali.
You just need a rolling impression of the edge to duplicate, that’s what I did.
Once you get experienced you can make custom ones also, if you have the urge.
Chester should be able to send the pdf of the manual if you ask.
Mark
Brierley Grinders – Chester Machine Tools

Hi,

many thanks for your reply. I have emailed Chester and will see if they can assist. Hopefully I can afford the standard RH drill cam. Meanwhile, does anybody have one of these machines in Melbourne Australia that would be willing to allow me to measure the cams so I can make a set? Thanks again.

great grinder. i wonder what is the point in relieving the point without reducing the chisel edge. does it have any effect at all?

Back