What's new
What's new

material / stock for DIY screwdrivers and turnscrews

bbaley

Plastic
Hi all,
I am interested in making some custom screwdrivers/turnscrews for myself.
Most of these would be hollow ground flat blades and specialty shapes and sizes.

What stock/steel recommendations would you have for this type of tool ?

I am expecting, or assuming that i would only be shaping the driver end, and possibly slightly forging the handle/seat end (to limit twisting in handle)

I do NOT have a heat treating oven, so the materials would preferably need to be friendly to heat treating methods that can be accomplished without that - or if not advisable I could find someone with one, etc.

Is this too complicated/advanced a task for someone with limited equipment and heat treating experience ?
I've made punches and a variety of items from a few steel types like S7, 4140, O2, W2... and attempted a few different heat treating methods, but am just beginning to get rough ideas about how all this works.
So, before I head down a path, looking to see if it's a viable pursuit this early in my education :)

Boron steel is the classic high-grade solution, but it may be hard to get in small quantities.

What do you intend to use these screwdrivers for? And how many will be made?

O1 if you intend to harden the tips. (Heat treating O1 is about the most forgiving HT process imaginable.) Available in every size.

1045 if you want tough without heat treating. Should be available in round sizes suitable for screwdrivers.

Another for 01 ……………(of which over the years, I have made countless special turnscrews, wrenches and assorted gizmos)

Maybe the question should be: Why not use 01?

In other words, follow standard practice until that basic standard practice fails to produce an adequate solution to the problem. It is true that certain manufacturers have used specialty steels in their products to achieve a little better performance than O1 might provide. An example might be hex drivers made by Bondhus or screw drivers like Wiha. It is true that those drivers are tougher than a similar tool made from O1. But the difference is not huge. However, the process used to make them is tweaked over many years by folks with large budgets and custom built heat treat ovens and maybe even custom batched steels.

Start out using the most commonly available, cheapest, most versatile, and forgiving tool steel on the planet. The only heat treat equipment you will need to make excellent tools (like the custom punch I needed yesterday and made in literally under 10 mins start-to- finish) is a propane torch, or better yet, Mapp gas torch and a cup of any oil you have nearby to use as a quench. KISS

Denis

Back