What's new
What's new

Buck Chuck OD jaw replacement

Cadillac

Aluminum
I recently purchased two chucks at a business auction. I got a 6” adjust true buck in great shape. I believe it’s a earlier model because the logo is stamped in the chuck not a recessed sticker. Anyways it didn’t come with OD jaws. I’ve been looking and see a couple places that sell jaws but doesn’t list specific models. There’s only four numbers stamped on face I believe their 3633. Could be wrong sorry memory sucks.
One question can one buy two piece jaws to replace a solid one piece jaw. My chuck has one piece which are good just thinking if I can get two piece i would be better off.
Also got a brand new bison 4” also with only ID jaws in same situation.
What kills me is their was a box sold of just random jaws. I should have bought now knowing how expensive replacement jaws are and how hard to find replacements. Ive read that I’m not the only one in this situation
Any direction would be great thanks.

Some years ago, there was a company in England called Mordun that sold new replacement one-piece jaws for Buck chucks on eBay. I bought some and they were very good jaws. But the company seems to have disappeared. https://www.businessmagnet.co.uk/company/mordunchuckjawltd-43780.htm

I have found used Buck jaws on eBay, but the jaws have no name or other ID on them, so you have to watch for the dimensions you need and learn to recognize them from pictures. One trick is to count the scroll teeth if the pictures include them in one of the views. Sellers who think they know their jaws are Buck will usually ask more than sellers who don't know or guess the maker.

Buck two-piece jaws have the peculiarity of not being made to the USA tongue and groove standard, so the common standard T&G hard and soft top jaws will not fit. You have to find genuine Buck parts or exact copies. I think the Chinese-made BTC brand copies of the Buck Ajust-Tru chucks may be exact enough to allow using BTC jaws in a Buck body, but I have never tried it.

Larry

I wish you the best of luck finding the jaws you need, I know it will be needed or very expensive. Might be you can find a match somewhere but beware if you do to look for a set that has matching numbers or they probably won't run concentric.
I ran into a similar situation at a tool and die shop auction with some nice small chucks, someone had the wrong jaws with the chucks but I sorted that out before the auction started. Knowing they were complete made them worth a lot more to me and I wound up getting all of them. I figured also that if someone out bid my they would appreciate getting complete chucks instead of a bunch of miss matched stuff.
I don't know how or why that happens, Auctioneer doesn't have a clue or one of the bidders moving stuff around but that is common at auctions.
Dan

...Might be you can find a match somewhere but beware if you do to look for a set that has matching numbers or they probably won't run concentric....

The question is about Buck 6" 3-jaw Ajust-Tru jaws. The only numbers on those jaws are 1, 2 and 3. Be sure you get one of each because three matching number 1, 2 or 3 jaws will not work. The nice thing about adjustable chucks is that the jaws do not have to be ground in on the chuck body to be able to be adjusted to near zero runout for at least one place on the work. You still might have problems with the chuck body and/or jaws being worn enough to prevent good results. Tilted jaws are likely on old chucks, for instance.

Larry

I have a very nice tight 8" 3 jaw buck chuck but it only has the one set of jaws. I contacted buck to see if the other jaws or better yet new style two piece jaws could be bought. They said they no longer support the older chucks. I poked around on the internet some but have not found anything. Best of luck! If you find any I'd be interested too.

For what it may be worth, when I decided to get a Buck adjust-tru, I haunted eBay for a while and found several listed with only one set of jaws. Then it dawned on me that I could get two chucks, one with inside, one with outside jaws, for less than the selling price of the "complete" ones.

So, now I have two six-jaw chucks and no need to reverse the jaws!

I figured I’d update for others in need of the same. I called buck chuck. The lady was very informative and helpful. She said first that a 3633 model was their first edition. She said jaws for a 3634 will also fit my part#. She also said a 3632 will fit but that’s for a six jaw. And she said I’d have to get consecutive numbers to fit correctly 123 or 456. Not 136,etc. none of the jaws are available through them.
Next I called Kalamazoo chuck. They were also very helpful. The man said they do have replacement jaws in 1 piece or two piece. One piece solids od jaws are part# 632-311-3 and their 237.00 a set. Same for ID ones on price.
He also states that you can put two piece jaws in a one piece design. He said the masters are 225 a set and the upper (top) are 225 a set also so 450 for 2 piece. Well at least I know their available I’m back on the search. The lady at buck also said a new one is like 690. Thanks for all the help and I hope this helps others.

That's good info Cadillac thanks I will call Kalamazoo chuck. As far as a new buck for $690- I may be all wet but I think they are just another foreign made chuck these days- nothing special.

That's good info Cadillac thanks I will call Kalamazoo chuck. As far as a new buck for $690- I may be all wet but I think they are just another foreign made chuck these days- nothing special.

Anecdotal evidence has it that all the "small" ones are. Kalamazoo as well. Can't personally confirm either but "small" seems to be anything under 12" or so.

What seems to be the case is that their main biz these days is actually making LARGE chucks and doing the rebuilding of same.

Simply put - that's where the (remaining) money is, 'coz Asian manual chucks are no longer BAD enough to ignore or nor expensive enough to compete with.

...And she said I’d have to get consecutive numbers to fit correctly 123 or 456. Not 136,etc. none of the jaws are available through them....

Think again about six-jaw chuck jaw numbers. If you want to use just three of the jaws in a six-jaw chuck, you use jaws at 120 degree intervals, not three adjacent jaws. You have a choice of using the odd numbers, 1, 3 and 5 or the even numbers, 2, 4 and 6. If you are using jaws from a three-jaw chuck, they will be numbered 1, 2 and 3. The inner angle on the jaws will tell you if they were made for a three-jaw (120 degrees) or a six jaw (60 degrees) chuck. Yes, Buck jaws from a six-jaw will work in a three-jaw chuck and vice versa if you get the right jaws in the right slots.

Larry

Next I called Kalamazoo chuck.
He also states that you can put two piece jaws in a one piece design. He said the masters are 225 a set and the upper (top) are 225 a set also so 450 for 2 piece.

See if Buck can point you to at least their "master" jaws for two-piece then.
Kalamazoo may even fit. There's back-story on those two company's history.

Tops are a competitive business, globally. Very.

Ladner.fr is not cheap, but has good info online as to all the standards they can supply. Buck should actually be one of the simplest and most common, USA market.

Most of the exotic serrated ones are found on power chucks, where the actuator is more durable and accurately repeatable than a scroll but very limited in travel range. Gross adjustment is done with the jaws.

Back