What's new
What's new

Building a 4" thick riser block in Aluminum or Steel?

atomarc

Diamond
I have a earlier thread regarding building two 4" riser blocks for a Haas gantry router..this is another question regarding the same project on the same machine.

I can fabricate the riser blocks from steel or I could use aluminum. For some reason I feel the steel risers would be more robust from a stiffness and dampening aspect although that may be my own insanity coming through.

The risers measure 17" X 13" are 4" thick and are open in the center. I have decided to fabricate them from flat bar, weld them together and Blanchard grind to matching thickness. Doing it this way is twice as expensive using steel as it is using aluminum.

Unless there are other unknowns using aluminum, am I nuts for thinking this material is going to be more problematic than steel in a application where it is only under a compression load..a spacer.

The aluminum is less expensive, cheaper to ship to me, easier to fabricate and much lighter to carry and install, plus being bolted together I won't have to normalize any welds. The only negative is having to mill both assemblies to the exact same thickness versus a Blanchard grinding.

Having said all that, I still think the steel risers would be more rigid, am I crazy for thinking this way?

Stuart

I have a earlier thread regarding building two 4" riser blocks for a Haas gantry router..this is another question regarding the same project on the same machine.
I can fabricate the riser blocks from steel or I could use aluminum. For some reason I feel the steel risers would be more robust from a stiffness and dampening aspect although that may be my own insanity coming through.
The risers measure 17" X 13" are 4" thick and are open in the center. I have decided to fabricate them from flat bar, weld them together and Blanchard grind to matching thickness. Doing it this way is twice as expensive using steel as it is using aluminum.
Unless there are other unknowns using aluminum, am I nuts for thinking this material is going to be more problematic than steel in a application where it is only under a compression load..a spacer.
The aluminum is less expensive, cheaper to ship to me, easier to fabricate and much lighter to carry and install, plus being bolted together I won't have to normalize any welds. The only negative is having to mill both assemblies to the exact same thickness versus a Blanchard grinding.
Having said all that, I still think the steel risers would be more rigid, am I crazy for thinking this way?

Stuart

Not at all.

Stuart

I'd use steel. But If you can bolt the shiney-wood, and not have to deal with weld distortion, why can you not also bolt the steel - or even CI - same gain?

PS: Aluminium can be Blanchard ground.

Its not really an application where the elastic modulus is going to come into play to any significant extent. On a gantry machine I'd be more concerned about adding moving weight and its possible inertial effects on accuracy. For that reason, I'd go with the aluminum since, with the same dimensions, it eliminates 2/3 of the additional weight.

If possible I would thru bolt it rather than bolting the spacer down and then bolting the upper structure to the spacer. This would keep the modulus of the aluminum out of play from the standpoint of localized bolt tension/compression at the fastening points.

metlmunchr,

Yes..that's the plan, build the spacers, lift the gantry and sandwich them betwixt existing structure with longer thru-bolts. Strictly a 'mashing' application.

I want to do this only one time and don't want the customer coming back saying there is now some resonance or the such going on that could be attributed to using aluminum versus steel.

The steel iterations come in at about 165 lbs a piece, and having only two of them I think inertial concerns from the added weight would be nil.

Bill,

No aluminum Blanchard capabilities in this area, and being behind the 'Redwood Curtain' involves shipping headaches to all compass points.

Stuart

being behind the 'Redwood Curtain' involves shipping headaches to all compass points.

Hear yah. Redwood Burl bought up around California's own "portable Arctic Circle".

Dealer shipped it UPS, but... at right about TRIPLE the normal UPS rate on top of his own modest $20 fee for putting a single wrap of cardboard around it and block-printing an address label.

OTOH? One can actually LIVE up there. SoCal, not so much.

Back