What's new
What's new

Thread ring gages ?

SND

Diamond
This may be a bit of an odd question but do any of you know the standard for the normal thickness and outside diameters sizes for Thread ring gages? (used to inspect external threads). I'm not worried about the thread size itself. Only the knurled OD and thickness of the gage and how many thread sizes are cut within the same gage "body" if we can call it that.

I know they go a bit like Die OD/thickness sizes but I've searched and searched and I can't find any chart/list of the normal OD sizes for Thread ring Gages. Do any of you know? Does it vary between manufacturers or do they all follow the same standards? Out of the Thread ring gages I've used before I know there was at least 3 sizes and thicknesses(theres definitely more than that too) but I never thought to measure them back then. Any help with this is very appreciated.

Thanks

there is a British standerd for it, i cant access the BS database or download at home but my PC at work is able to, will retreive Mon morning, theres a DIN std as well because Horstman supplied to it, from memory [not too good] thickness= p x 5 or somthing like it od was double but i'd rather get a copy as i could be way off.
regards
mark

I have a number of Sheffield and GTD gages. They vary from 3 full threads to quite a number, like 8 or so on a GO gage.

NOT GO all seem to have at least 5, among the ones I have.

Here is a selection of sizes and threads

OD x thickness

1 x 0.25 Go, 10-24

1.125 x .180 Go 1/8-27

1.312 x .200 Go 1/4-18

1.375 x 0.350 Go, 5/16-24

1.475 x .240 Go, 3/8-18

1.75 x .437 Go, 7/16-20

1.75 x 0.437 Not-go 7/16-20

same not-go 3/8-24

same not-go 1/2-20

2.2 x 0.557 Go, 9/16-18

2.2 x 0.557 Not-go 9/16-18

SND, In the US, the old standard was FED-STD-H28/6
which was replaced by ANSI B1.2- xxxx? Not keeping up with that stuff anymore, was thin ring, thick ring, fine pitch rings etc, Table gave thickness for different pitches. Do not think you will find it in the unmentionable Handbook, or it's touted better alternate!
Cheers, Les H.

Thanks, I did a bunch more searching and finally found a great website with a LOT of data and even a chart of exactly what I was looking for. I was just about to quit searching and thought I'd try another search engine and woohoo.

Thin ring gages seem to be the type I've used before.

http://www.ring-plug-thread-gages.com/ti-GMS18-Thread-Ring-Gage-Blanks.pdf

I did find a few places in the USA specialized in making/calibrating and fixing such gages. Quite interesting it was.

Thanks again.

Back