What's new
What's new

Book Review A TREATISE ON MILLING AND MILLING MACHINES

castiron

Cast Iron
A TREATISE ON MILLING AND MILLING MACHINES
Third Edition Copyright 1951 Printed By The Cincinnati Milling Machine Co.
6 ¾ x 9 ¼ 910 pages
I have not spent my life in a machine shop so I have to look to books to help me out.
I have found this text to be a wondurful base of knolwedge.
This is not a book full of copied text from other books but rather assembled by the engineering staff at Cincinnati under the direction of Mr. Mario Martellotti.
Highly recommended.
I purchase in a used book store in Washburn WI in 2000 for $30 smackers
Regards mac,,,,
CoolPear003.jpg

Cincybook002.jpg

CoolPear004.jpg

Cincybook001.jpg

As I look through some of my old machinery books.. I often feel quite dumb.. The "Old School" machinists were able to figure out some things that confound me.. I really have to respect those guys, for being able to do what they did..

I really wish we had a source for those kinds of books here in MT. Best we can come up is "Care and feeding of your John Deere Treactor". I agree totaly with the sentiments and respect due to the "old timers" who built this nation. Take some 40 year old wise guy these days and make him produce the kinds of stuff that was done in the early parts of the century, with what they had at their disposal to work with, they wouldnt know where to start. I read ther threads in the antique forum, and study the pictures and shake my head in amazement. Old timers rule
Jim

Agree with Mac -- this is my favorite machining book. Chapter 11 "The Milling Machine in Tool Room Work" is especially good -- it walks you through a couple of very practical projects, including milling a compound pocket for a brazed carbide cutting tool, milling a facemill with compound axial and radial rakes, and a complete tapered dovetail slide.

Chapter 18 "Fixtures and Fixture Design" is really good too.

My other favorite is the 2-volume Moltrecht book, but that covers a much broader topic area.

Note that there are two different books with similar titles, both are listed in the AbeBooks link posted by Bob.

"Practical Treatise on Milling and Milling Machines" is the title of the Brown & Sharpe book. It is good too! Not as comprehensive as the Cincinatti book, but worth having.

Mac, I have an identical 1951 copy to your Cincinatti book, it was given to me when the toolroom I worked in closed down, they had a fully loaded Cincinatti mill to go with it.

Lazlo,
"My other favorite is the 2-volume Moltrecht book, but that covers a much broader topic area."
I keep that one next to my bed also!
I scretched my head so many times there no hair left.
mac,,,

mac,

no not the mill! Impressive though it was, I prefer a Bridgeport for the sort of playing around I do. The Cincinatti (horizontal/vertical) was great for running a big carbide facing cutter, or for universal work (had a cabinet full of accesories), but had little feel though the handles and leaked oil too....

"Is it Ok. for beginner? I´m about to buy a bridgeport milling machine "

Yes it is OK for a beginner. It will give you a lot of information that is way over the top for a beginner but there is a lot of basic information there that you will soon start to understand. With the basic understanding you will grow and appreciate the rest of the book.
lg
no neat sig line

Regarding the Cincinatti book, there are two editions. The older editions have fewer pages, and not as many pictures. Lindsay books sells one of these as a reprint. The 3rd edition, from 1951, shown in Mac's pictures above, has more pages and more vertical milling information.

I had a copy of the 3rd edition, which I really liked. But a guy I know from a local art/community shop had purchased an old Cincinatti number 2 milling machine, so I thought that the book should belong with him and the machine.

By the way, www.bookfinder.com is another way of finding old used books. I just checked now, and they have 3 copies of the 1951 edition at prices between $40 and $50:
http://www.bookfinder.com/search/?ac=sl&st=sl&qi=u9hxFfx59M5dsVKWqiSwQfWgqqM_7117485174_1:2:16

I bought an original copy (1941 printing) in paperback. Be careful, in the fine print (Ebay advert) it said "Part 1". It turned out that it is only the first six chapters. Nice, but I wanted the whole story, so I ordered the 1951 hardback today, too. We probably have the used book dealers wondering what in the world is going on with this title!

You guys in the boonedocks are not berefth of bookbuying opportunites. AbeBook, Barnes and Noble, eBay, Astrigal Press - theres a long list of source for technical book on most any subject including the machinist trade.

You're better off with a starter list. Bob Welland brought in a dozen or so books to the Kirkland scraping class. Maybe he'd reprise the list for us.

Looks wonderful, have seen a softback in Cardiff university library by brown and sharp, called milling, had a quick glance but it was in the reference section so i couldent borrow it, looked similar 1950 or so, anybody read it?
and i agree with what has been said about the oldtimers, they knew more than we credit them for, why o why did most of it not get passed on, ive seen men retiring from my place of work that were happy to do just about anything, if you needed a 4 start left hand thread on a 8 foot diameter shaft with one go at getting it right you could rely on the older generation to oblige and have the confidence to carry it off, sometimes when i look at some of the old peices of lab equiptment we still use i,m amazed by the quality of the work, anyway its a book i will do my best to get.
regards
mark

Back