What's new
What's new

price of electrical plugs gone though the roof?

anchorman

Titanium
when did hubbell start charging $100-$120 for a plug? this is crazy. it seems just last year they were selling for about $40 each for the nice ones...leviton was about $28 for similar. specifically talking about 10-50P that is often used to hook up mig welders, stoves, small furnaces, etc.

does anyone know what is driving the cost of these to be so expensive? it seems like they are just some plastic, a few screws and the metal for the prongs... :nutter:

Hubbell really is high, for no obvious reason.

I'm right next door to a large Hubbell distributor, selling only to "the trade". I get trade prices, and they're still ridiculous.

You know there are two similar series of Hubbell products, quite different in price.

- Leigh

http://cgi.ebay.com/NEW-Leviton-IND...emQQptZLH_DefaultDomain_0?hash=item5ad3a546aa

$40 BIN

Don't know if they still have them or not, but I've bought some in the past at Home Depot that were Pass & Seymour IIRC. Molded hard rubber type body. Maybe $15 apiece at most. They also had the same configuration with a bakelite shell and while they're okay for something that'll be left plugged in, they tend to crack too easily when used where they'd be connected and disconnected regularly.

makes me mental, all that for $0.30 of plastic and metal. Grrrrr. Hubbell is imo making a stragetic mistake.....remember what happened when plasterers became to expensive? someone invented drywall

I'd be all into buying knockoffs when plugs are $100 a piece :angry:

you say that now and when you start to use the shonky stuff that rolls in you will be driven to using the good stuff, I have just been through this with some no name 3 phase plug that had a intermittent connection...:willy_nilly:

are you getting contractor prices or are you walking off the street?

If we talking about cord ends or plugs at these prices, it is crazy. Try this source here, you may be pleasently surprised. It has been about three years since I purchased from him, hoping all the contact information is correct.

The last time I purchased L-15-20 cord ends, they were (I believe) $9.00 each. A lot of Leviton products. His inventory changes, I'm thinking he buys surplus. All items I have ever received were new in box. A great guy to deal with, his hours are a little odd though. He starts to work a little after 10:00 am or so, after rush hour.

Brooklyn Queens Electric
587 Manhattan Ave
Brooklyn NY 11222
718-383-0250
718-349-1842 FAX

If you would be so kind, tell him Ohio Windmill sent you

Best of luck;
Craig Donges

when did hubbell start charging $100-$120 for a plug? this is crazy. it seems just last year they were selling for about $40 each for the nice ones...
I thought $40 was thru the roof for such a simplistic device.... $100 is stark raving mad... is this via the same dealer that charged $40 a year ago ?

Back