What's new
What's new

Replacing Teclock DI crystal???? Help!

Racebrewer

Aluminum
Hi Guys,

I've been using a Teclock 2" travel dial indicator for over 20 years to build 2-stroke kart motors. I was packing up my tools to go to NJMP and I managed to drop the indicator and, of course, the end hit the ground.

@#$%^&*, I said...... Over and over......

Two weeks later, I found an identical (but functioning) 2" Teclock DI on EBay, which I "won" and received (Thanks to Tools4Cheap.net). Ist thing I ever EBay'd.

The crystal on my old DI is much, much better than the one on the functioning DI I bought (which I knew when I bid). I'd like to swap them, but I don't know how. There are no screw heads on the ring holding the crystal. No watch repair experience....

Does anyone have any ideas? Any suggestions would be appreciated. I'll either have to swap the crystal/ring assembly or just swap the crystals.

Thanks,
John

Typically these either have a bezel that prys off (as in a Starrett 196), or a standard compression type watch crystal in a bezel held on by some mechanism (a wire that you have to disengage using a piece of wire stuck into a hole in the bezel). If the former, easy peasee. If the later, you should use a crystal compressor (a polyethylene ram that push down on the cystal over an opening), or a crystal remover (which looks like a bird claw wiht about 15 talons, and closes using a handle that screws down and closes the claw, squeezing the crystal).

Or send it to Long Island Indicator. Or email them.

Jim

There are a couple of different models which come to mind but the most common (to me) uses a spring shaped like a capitol "D" on each side of the bezel. The spring fits through a groove in the side of the indicator body and rests in a groove inside the bezel. If your indicator has a removable back, take it off and you will see a portion of the spring exposed along one side only (left or right). Use a small eyeglass screwdriver to grab the loop and pull it in towards the center if the indicator. It doesn't have to move far to release the bezel on that side. Once it is free, carefully remove the bezel and lens, avoiding bending the hand on the indicator face.

Some older model Teklocs did not have removable backs but have a single phillips head screw on the back of the case. remove the screw, stick the screwdriver into the hole and release the spring same as above. A rarer model, perhaps the oldest, used small brass rails held in place with a tiny screw. loosen the screw, pull in the rail, andthe bezel came free. -Mike

I have two of the same indicators. The crystal and ring pop off. I machined a
hole in a piece of pine and cut through the center to create a pair of vice jaws
to hold the indicator. The took off the ring.

Can't say I am crazy about these indicators. My first one was mounted on a mill
to measure downfeed on the quill. The crystal popped off the first time and I
figured after so much vibration and rotation over the years something finally gave in. So I bought another for 24.95 on sale.

If you are careful you can polish the crystal to look like new. Thats what I did.

Back