What's new
What's new

Cylinder head porting

AlbertRaczynski

Plastic
Hey everyone,
I hope I dropped this in the right forum. I don't post here too often.

I am currently working on doing some cylinder head porting on my 3 axis mill. I am shopping around for different style lollipop mills and have a couple of questions that you could all maybe help me out with.

1.) I am having difficulty drawing up a custom tool that mastercam will recognize. Can anyone offer me some advice on this? I would like to run the verify feature on these custom long reach tools before i drop $130 on a tool.

2.) I could use some mastercam help in regards to cutting deep pockets (surface finishing) and the tool containment boundaries. As well as creating a stopping depth or something of that nature. Also does mastercam check for collisions with the shank of the tool as defined?

3.) Any suggestions for good lolipop mills? I was looking at SGS carbide stuff that they produce for the centroid machines.

I guess thats more than 3 questions, but any help or input would be appreciated. I am essentially trying to rely on having enough overhang on the lolipop mill to cut any overhangs or undercuts in the port. I don't have a 4th axis, and I am like 99% certain I can get this job nailed on my 3 axis machine. The port is pretty much a straight shot.

Sorry for the long post, but again, any help would be greatly appreciated.

Never seen it done on a three axis, but I've watched cylinder heads being porting on a five axis.

Fascinating to watch to say the least!! :eek:

Here's a source for standard and long length carbide burr's. I've dealt with this company in the past and they were very helpful and friendly.
http://www.ruffstuff.com/
As for setting an absolute depth in mastercam it is possible, what version?
Finish I would use scallop height and let mastercam figure out the steps. What you are doing should be easy for mastercam. PM me if you'd like, this is something I've been kicking around for quite some time but maybe I can help you with it and by doing so, it may relight the fire again.
Dave

Back