What's new
What's new

Buying a Used Amstar Mill

steamandsteel

Aluminum
Hello,

I've run across a used Amstar mill for a very reasonable sum. I believe it has been sitting outside for many years as the bed and vise have a good surface coat of rust.

It is a vertical/horizontal mill I believe.

Nameplate:

MILLING MACHINE HORIZONTAL & VERTICAL KNEE TYPE
TURRET/MACHINERY GROUP USA
MODEL #HV-1 1/2
MANUFACTURED MAY 1991
VOLTS 230V-3PH
HORIZONTAL SPINDLE 3HP 9 AMPS 230V
VERTICAL SPINDLE 3HP 9 AMPS 230V

I've attached a picture below.

My main concerns - is this mill worth anything in the condition it's in?
Will I have to replace bearings, the motor, belts, all of the above?
Is it worth paying 500? 1000? Or not even messing with it?

I've been looking for a decent mill for general purpose lighter duty and small production work. Nothing that needs to be super new/precise/fancy.

Thanks for any and all help

mill.jpg

Government Surplus up to their usual tricks.....meanwhile they probably put all the worthless copy machines, dorm sofas and CRT computer monitors inside.

Looks like they have been seasoned enough that there will be noticable pitting after table rust removed and the vertical quill bearings will probably be noisy.... horizontal spindle might be ok....maybe..

That mill has taken a fall.... Knee handle snapped off. Y axis handle bent. X axis handle missing. Top of motor cover smashed in. And then there is the rust issue.
Are they offering YOU $500 to take it away?

APD, GREAT Reply!! I did not even notice those. Good eye. I haven't seen the machine in person, this was just a picture available. I'll pass on this one... Did some further digging and found out the Army took the manufacturer to court, and that the castings are import, with parts put in stateside.. Kinda funny business, along with minimal internet documentation. Thanks for the great replies, and Digger Doug for the humor. Milacron, they've got several copy machines, casters, and other useless junk sitting in nice, dry hangars. Thank goodness we kept this $20 vacuum dry the past 20 years...

Moving on..

Anyone selling a vert. knee mill west river SD?

Back