What's new
What's new

Excello mill help

john1mman

Plastic
I have been using an excello mill for many years to do maintenance work around the shop. I'm a carpenter full time but I do all the repair work at the shop. I noticed that when I try to tram the head, the adjusting shafts for both the side to side and front to rear adjustments seem to be stripped. In other words, when I turn the hex head bolts they don't turn the shaft which has the worm gear on the end, which makes the head move from side to side and front to rear. The shaft has a hex head that is called an adaptor. It is pinned to the shaft. I have taken the adaptor off and tried to see if there is something I could do to repair it. I haven't been successful yet. If someone could give me some help with this, I would be very grateful. What I do now to adjust the head, is turn the bolt and then push the head some with my hands, and watch the dial to see when it is good. It is so much more time consuming to do it this way. Thanks again for any help.

It's an easy job to pull the head loose from the knuckle to see what's going on, and to make any repairs. Clamp a 3/4 stud about 4" +/- into your collet, to clamp into your vise (v-blocks would help give better support), and use the Y-axis to move the head out from the knuckle (after removing the nuts of course). This should give you plenty of access to see the problem. The knuckle is an easy job to remove with the head out of the way, should you need to go that far.

Thank you for your help. That would help for the side to side. How would you check the front to rear? The adjustment bolt is in the head itself. Thanks again for your help.

You will find that the worm and gear is accessable from the back side of the head, when you have it pulled loose. There should be a setscrew, that when loosened, will allow you to remove the bolt with the worm. The worm gear is bolted to the mating face on the knuckle. It will be quite easy to figure out once you have the head pulled loose. This is assuming that this mill is simular in construction to a Bridgeport.

Good advice above. I don't know if it's applicable but I have an Excello mill and the head would not rotate when purchased as the roll pin holding the worm to the shaft (there may have been two, I can't recall) was sheared. This was quite simple to fix, of course.

Back