What's new
What's new

Sharpening pipe dies?

mm

Aluminum
I have an old full set of Toledo pipe dies. These are the round, ratchet style with four replacable dies. The last project completed, we were tearing the threads of one out of three threaded ends of 1/2 inch pipe. The pipe was American pipe bought from the local plumber.

Having no more short sections to do with "mistakes", I took the pipe back to the plumber and had him cut the last four ends. He had no problems.

I have searched and cannot find replacement dies. Has anyone ever sharpened these individual dies? There are no chips, so both edges would probably just need to be touched.

Any suggestions?

mm

Here is a pic of where I sharpen the dies

sharpeningdie004.jpg

Sharpening Dies

MM
Your replaceable dies have a 'constant profile' shape , so all they need is to have the
slightest of grind on the front face to renew the sharp cutting edge.
As the die holding position is adjustable, a perfect thread will still be possible.
And as the man says, you need a proper cutting compound and not just any old oil.
The same goes for Gear cutters. You touch up the front of each cutting face. The Cutter
becomes the tiniest bit smaller in diameter, but still produces the perfect gear tooth
profile. The depth of cut will be exactly the same after the cutter just touches the
gear blank circumference.

Have just re-read your post and am puzzled. You mention TWO faces.
Every set of cutters I have come across have 4 dies per thread size.
You only need to grind the front face. Because of the clearance built into the die manufacture, the rear face never
touches the thread being cut.

David C

Last edited:
I have made jigs to resharpen ridgid pipe dies. All fours dies are done at the same time. If you do them one at a time you need to make sure you take the same amount off each die. If you do not the highest die will be doing most of the cutting. I have sold well over 200 ridgid dies with resharpen chasers and never had a problem. It can be done. You may want to look on ebay for repalcement dies, they are there all the time.
Thank you
Happy new year to all
Joe

Thanks all for the replies.

QQ Was the plumber using tapping oil/fluid? Were you? Regular oil will chew up the threads.

Yes, the only difference was that he still had the old Ridgid dark, high sulfur oil. I ran out last summer and have the new "improved" Ridgid Extreme Performance. (I use a lot of this oil for drilling and cutting off stainless. I don't feel the new works as well as the old dark, but it does smoke less. The heavy dark is no longer available.)

QQ I think McMaster did/does/was selling Toledo threaders, just not using the name in the catalog.

I will call McMaster if the sharpening does not go well.

QQ I have made jigs to resharpen ridgid pipe dies.

Do I need to do more than just lay them out on the grinder's magnetic chuck, brace them with some thinner bar stock, and kiss the cutting faces with the wheel?

Thanks again,

mm

MM
Ref "just laying them on the grinder magnetic chuck"

I think I would want to raise the tail end of the dies a bit to introduce the equivalent
of 'top rake' as on a lathe tool.
Rgds

I have made jigs to resharpen ridgid pipe dies. All fours dies are done at the same time. ...
Happy new year to all
Joe

...I think I would want to raise the tail end of the dies a bit to introduce the equivalent of 'top rake' as on a lathe tool.
Rgds

I just never gave this much of a thought.

Thanks for the information it will make threading 2" pipe a little easier to keep those cutters sharp. Otherwise I just tend to replace them when the threads get torn out or rough.

Raymond

Back