What's new
What's new

Can anyone help identify this lathe?

Domodude17

Aluminum
A gentlemen contacted me and said he would let this lathe go for "like $150 or so". Doesn't know the make or model, but referred to it as a larger south bend clone.

Imgur: The most awesome images on the Internet

He said, "I have no idea as to the brand, its got a Drive All gear box, cone pulley and back gear not pictured but easily reinstalled. Pictured is how I kinda messed with it, timing belt drive on a motor with a VFD. I don't currently have a VFD for it, I'd advise getting a single phase motor for half the price and putting it through the included gear box."

I am not sure how I feel about it...something here just seems to rub me the wrong way, but I can't put my finger on it.

A gentlemen contacted me and said he would let this lathe go for "like $150 or so". Doesn't know the make or model, but referred to it as a larger south bend clone.

Imgur: The most awesome images on the Internet
I am not sure how I feel about it...something here just seems to rub me the wrong way, but I can't put my finger on it.
Probably the wood plane setting on it?
Seriously; Do you really want a machine that has no back gear? I would think even with a 4 speed gear box it's going to be either too fast or too slow to be useful. Now if you're some type of power transmission expert it may be right up your alley, just not for me.
Dan

Probably the wood plane setting on it?
Seriously; Do you really want a machine that has no back gear? I would think even with a 4 speed gear box it's going to be either too fast or too slow to be useful. Now if you're some type of power transmission expert it may be right up your alley, just not for me.
Dan

He said there is a back gear, it just isn't installed. Assuming he took it off when he added the timing belt and such

Run, do not walk away from that old lathe if you intent is to make is a working machine tool. Unless you are a resourceful machine tool technician with sources identified and ready for the parts and accessories to get this machine running, you are certain to break your heart on frustration, delays, and missing parts for which you can;t find even a picture.

The nearest comparison is an apartment dweller who always desired a 1978 Firebird complete with the hood decal who finally found one, wrecked, free for hauling, in a field over grown with weeds. The man has few tools and no-place to work. Nor has he the body working and mechanic's skills so he'd have to hire the work done. Or a once glorious wood boat. Or an 60 year old airplane. or an Arts and Crafts house.

I'm carrying the metaphor too far but I think I made my message clear: some free stuff is not only too expensive to own but almost certain to end up downhill slide to failure. A project sure to be boxed up and shoved in a corner when the money is gone and enthusiasm exhausted

Regardless of the above, that lathe looks like an interesting find. and should it be possible to make it complete as originally sold with manuals and sales brochures, it would make a fine display at an technology museum.

I hate to say it here but save your money and get one of the better imports. They come complete and ready to run.

that machine would make an excellent lamp or coffee table whatever, for my living room....cats could piss all over it, and it
would not matter.

it would almost remind my wife that she really doesn't understand exactly what it is that i actually do???????????

"you smell like yucky burnt metal suff,.........."

that machine would make an excellent lamp or coffee table whatever, for my living room....cats could piss all over it, and it
would not matter.

it would almost remind my wife that she really doesn't understand exactly what it is that i actually do???????????

"you smell like yucky burnt metal suff,.........."

Back