What's new
What's new

Hyster forklift steering

bongo88

Aluminum
I have a Hyster S40E with a manual transmission made in 1984. It is new to me and I have noticed when cold the steering feels notchy, for lack of a better word sort of how power steering on a car feels that is low on fluid. It is not a mechanical binding but more like it is not getting consistent pressure. Has anyone else experienced this? I would like to check the fluid but what should I be using and what supply does it use, in other words is it a separate system?
Thanks
Lee

iirc the h80 used a seperate belt driven pump for the p/s, maybe yours does too?
if so check the belt condition, it might either be loose or glazed

also check the filter in the system, it should be mounted down in the resevoir, again iirc.

we used standard light hydraulic 32 without issues, seems the units weren't too picky about type of oil, they just needed oil of some sort to do their job.

you might be low of fluid, drawing air into the pump, as the system warms up the fluid expands, likely this expansion is just enough to get the level up just high enough to get past sucking air?

so i would check that first when cold to see where the level is, and add as needed.

you might consider draining the system, cleaning the resevoir, and replacing the filter and install new fluid as well. probably hasn't been done since '84 in my experience.

bob g

Hyster Lift

I have a Hyster S40E with a manual transmission made in 1984. It is new to me and I have noticed when cold the steering feels notchy, for lack of a better word sort of how power steering on a car feels that is low on fluid. It is not a mechanical binding but more like it is not getting consistent pressure. Has anyone else experienced this? I would like to check the fluid but what should I be using and what supply does it use, in other words is it a separate system?
Thanks
Lee

Hi: We had an s100e at work one time with an oil clutch.. I think the power steering was fed from the transmission pump.. As I recall there is a filter in the bottom of the transmission that gets clogged with time and cold oil will not go through it as it should.. Had to change the filter to remedy the problem. Ours had hydrostatic steering.. no mechanical linkages.. mike

Back