What's new
What's new

Can I use this jig borer for light milling

ichudov

Hot Rolled
I bought this jig borer, which weighs 28,500 lbs.

http://igor.chudov.com/tmp/huge-jig-borer/

It is a Pratt and Whitney jig borer and it comes with a DRO and all tooling.

My question is, can I use it as a milling machine to do maintenance and repair type of milling, not production, but nevertheless real milling with a 1/2" end mill.

It does hold the cutting tools with collets.

Thanks

Attachments

• jig-borer.jpg
    jig-borer.jpg
    90.9 KB · Views: 11,309
  • 007.jpg
    007.jpg
    90 KB · Views: 3,253
I don't have any jigbore experience but I imagine with a size like that it probably wouldn't even know a 1/2" endmill was running. Most of the jig borers I have seen can be used for light milling, and those are about 1/3 the size of yours. Nice machine!

How are the table feeds on that machine?

My Moore #2 holds collets and end mills also.. The problem with it is the table is geared so very fine that you wear your arm off cranking the table and get nowhere fast!

A cheap bridgeport is 10 times faster than my Jig Borer.

Its a later version of the 3E, and I expect the feeds are adjustable as needed

Guys, thanks for your comments. I believe that this machine has power feeds throughout. Good point about gearing, but I expect that it should be reasonably easy to jog and run the feeds with the power feeds. This is a real monster and it comes with a heap of tooling.

Its STRONG POINT was always its way over the top spindle / quill quality.

If you won't be interested in perfectly round bored holes in perfect locations, you can probably abuse the spindle with heavier milling

:drool5::drool5::drool5: What a BEAUTY!!! (I think I see a Moore in the background too)

Just keep in mind your running a 28,500lb swiss watch and to try do things youd do on an old vertical mill is abusing a machine of exceptional quality.

Sort of like asking if you can go off roading in an Escalade. Sure, you can do it. Should you? I dunno. It's your money.

I'm guessing you work for a large company where one department is surplusing this out and your maintenance department can get it for free, maybe?

Its STRONG POINT was always its way over the top spindle / quill quality.

If you won't be interested in perfectly round bored holes in perfect locations, you can probably abuse the spindle with heavier milling

I am definitely not interested in ANY precision over 0.001.

I also have a CNC Bridgeport Interact that can make small things without much of an effort.

From this machine, I just want it to be a basic manual milling machine with a DRO.

Just like someone else said, it is a little like offroading in a Bentley. But I do not care.

i

I got it in an auction for very little money. This machine, as a matter of fact, is exceptionally difficult to sell, because it is way big and also because it is a jig borer. But as a milling machine, precise and with a good footprint, it will do pretty well. If, after 20 years of shop use, it will lose a few tenths of its accuracy, I really could not care less.

Just by the way: It needs to be partly disassembled for moving, does anyone know how easy it is to do.

I doubt easy is the right word. On all the earlier ones the column unbolts from the base.

My most burning question is about the table. How easy is it to take the table off?

Without removing the column, it will be about 2" over the legal height on my semi truck, and I think that I can wing it and not get caught. There is a way to get it to my warehouse without hitting any low bridges.

USE THEM
In the last 40 years I have worked in 3 places that had these.We used them as if they were large Bridgeports. For precision work we had Moore jig borers and large Sipp swiss jig borers. Edwin Dirnbeck

Looks a bit naked without a large tilting rotab bolted to the table. ;)

We still have a few old 3b jig bores in our R&D areas. Handy as hell because of all the available working envelope.

We use ours as a mill when needed, but our table feeds are limited to just rapid traverse--which means lots of cranking on those huge handwheels.

Sometimes we need to use it as a lathe. I had to modify a large 40" dia x 8" tall aluminum casting the other day and it was too big for the lathes or the CNCs. That old jig bore saved the day again. :cloud9:

Better to use it as a mill than it going for scrap I suppose. Just a sign of the times. I visited an institution where I used to work a while back,big Newall jig bore was going for scrap.

If anyone gives you shit about facing heads flat enough on that there a moron! Beautiful machine, glad to see you can put it to use rather than scrap, which is the fate for a lot of them these days.

Far better to wear it out in its final days milling, than to leave it to rust up - break it up for scrap!!!

What a beautiful machine. Just imagine what it cost brand new......OMG I was at a machine dealer last fall he had one of these in almost mint condition and it was the size of a small one car garage. He said he bought it 12 years ago for very little money and it has been sitting on his floor since. He was closing up getting ready to sell his property and retire. The machine was going to end up going to scrap.

Make Chips Boys !!

Ron

Come on John....it's time for you to post a pic of the portion of your shop's roof you cut out to move in your jig boring machine....!

Back