What's new
What's new

BIAX scraper gears

borne2fly

Hot Rolled
I recently got an old BIAX scraper, seems to work well although I haven't pulled it apart to check under the hood yet.
I've read about the dreaded plastic gear that can strip out and render the whole thing useless. This gear is no longer available anywhere. Has anyone ever replaced both gears, as a set, with something more readily available (Boston Gear?), even if the ratio was slightly different? And if so, why not use brass or steel for both gears?

The problem is, one of the gears, is a pinion, and is part of the motor shaft. It has helical teeth. Its also a metric module pitch. This is why no replacement has been made. Be nice if we could get someone reverse engineer a good gear and have some made up for us who have the "old blue" Biax scraper. I'd be willing to buy a couple...

I had a feeling it would be some freakazoid like that, I'll take a look once I get in there. Things like that can tick me off enough to pull the rotor and lathe the pinion smooth, then press+key on some modification of a more readily available gearset that can be replaced as needed.

This scraper is green, not blue. Does it disassemble the same way? In particular, how does the motor come off? Doesn't look like it simply unscrews, and I don't want to force anything.

That is the newer model. You can pull it apart but if t isn't having issues why would you pull it apart? The machine is Swiss made and if you want to sell it because your freaked out about it. Post a picture in the classified section.

Richard,
I prefer to thoroughly check out anything I buy used, just a routine drill I go through.
And if I discover things I don't like, I don't mind fixing or modifying them.

Why on earth would you not replace a Module helical pinion with an identical Module helical pinion? If you used a DP and/or spur gear you would have to work with non standard DPs, addendums and/or helix angles just to maintain the original centre distance. You'd also have to replace the mating gear.

Think before you write. :codger:

Mark,
I'm led to believe that the plastic gear is no longer available anywhere. And after all these years, if anything could be easily adapted then I figure someone would have said something, Don'tcha reckon? It might turn out to be easier to grab an off-the-shelf gearset that can be re-bored to fit, than to reverse engineer the existing gear. I don't know yet, gotta check it out.

You mentioned in another post that you have one of the "green" painted scrapers. If so, Richard said you have one of the newer ones. They do sell replacement gears for it. Richard can help you on getting replacements if you need them. Mine is one of the "blue" painted scrapers. I'm S.O.L. if it goes out! That'll teach me! At least I didn't give over $150 for it. And it also had the tool kit with it too!.

I've been asked by two people so far to make some replacements. If a small number of people want to investigate this I will happily assist. It's a little work to RE Helical Sets but as long as one has all the pertinent dat, it's not impossible. If I can RE and make a SIP jig bore Helical Gear, I'm sure I can do the same for a Biax.

927726_573885936075059_1457196423_n.jpg

I can also hob the gears. If there is any doubt about angles, the easy way is to make both gears.
However I am in the UK.
I can post, and often do, to the USA.

4GSR,
I've got a few antiques like that myself. Ended up having to make everything myself, but for a nerd like me it was fun :)

Richard,
Is that true ... parts like gears are still available for the "green" scrapers? That would be good news. I thought they were all extinct.

Back