What's new
What's new

Carolina HV-12 Bandsaw

Arne T.

Plastic
Does anyone have any Idea where I can get a replacement Gearbox for a HV-12, and what will fit it? Greatly Appreciated rapid reply......What model or Brand will even fit it...with out a lot of fabricating and redneck rigging........HELP

One question knowing nothing about the saws other than their storied origins...

....does the gearbox output shaft also hold the bearings for the saw blade drive wheel?

(if not, it should be fairly easy to fit an off-the-shelf Winsmith, Tigear or Grove Gear, or Boston Gear worm reducer)

I have one for sale!

Bought it on eBay, paid way too much, and never used it. It's not a bad saw for a hobby shop, but nowhere near good enough for my production cuts. It was owned by a firehouse and they used it once or twice.

Make an offer and it's yours. I can send pics if needed.

Evan

Carolina has parts for these. They have two different gear boxes available, one US made one china made. There are lots of better saws out there but these are some of the better 'cheap saws'

Carolina Tool number- 800 933-5705

I think you know what brands i'm thinking of. Wilton, HF, Jet. These may not be a Kalamazoo or Johnsons but I can call that 800 number and talk to a guy with a slight southern ring to his voice and get parts for these saws shipped the same day. Without needing a serial number or mfg code to figure out the specifics. How many of the other "proper" saws are also based on a welded tubing frame. What makes for a "proper" saw anyway?

I checked, mine's actually an HV-20.

I've got a JET too, paid the same price for it as this one used. I've used the JET for 5 years now and it's toast. I am saving up for a Kalamazoo.

My gripe with the Carolina is that the actual saw overhangs the coolant tray, so coolant drips all over the floor. The saw body does not weigh enough to allow for a smooth downfeed. The air cylinder used for the downfeed has two settings - destroy blade or lock. I can't seem to get the belts tight enough. When I turn the motor on the whole thing shakes like crazy. I think that covers it

My Carolina Saw story from a neighbor is rather funny.

He hired on with a utility contractor in the Piedmont that had bought the "complete package" from Carolina, i.e. a hydraulic press, engine lift and the band saw.... anyway, Bob said the saw never cut square. He tired everything imaginable and had zero luck. He finally called Carolina and the guy said the fixture was built out of square from the get go. Later models had this error fixed. I'd love to know the total number of these saws sold in the South much less the

The same group is selling Titan Industrial tools and their latest items are generators and air compressors out back of new Dodge pick-ups.

Guys,
I agree the Carolina HV-12 is not a great saw but thet do work. I paid $300 for one used and rebuilt the guides. The saw cut beautfully and as close to square (less than 1/64" on a 2 1/2" steel angle)as you could expect a home shop saw to do. It had a weak point in the idler wheel bearings as they were bronze bushings. finally lubricated them with open chain lube and they ran for 3 years. I would not recommend this saw for any type of production work as it will not last. I used bimetal blades to cut CPM 3V and had good service from my saw. I finsihed the jobs on 3V and sold the saw for $350. I now have a nice Kalamazoo and can not get it adjusted so it will cut square. I will eventually get the problems solved and it will be a much better saw.

Back