What's new
What's new

Cast aluminum tooling plate in Ontario

Pattnmaker

Stainless
Anyone have a good source for aluminum tooling plate in Ontario Canada?

I am starting to get a call for a lot of Aluminum Shell coreboxes and thinking of starting to CNC aluminum matchplates. So I need pieces of 1-4" thick tooling plate. At this point quantities are small and sometimes pieces are small but hopefully that will grow. I have been calling around and have only found one place so far stocking it and they only stock up to 2". I need piece 3" thick 4" wide x13$ long and was quoted $575 along with better prices for the 2" and some 1". I also got a lot of "attitude" from the salesman I would rather deal with someone who wants my business.

Job shop here so I don't have any stock sizes that I need. If the matchplate work progresses I will have a couple of sizes that I can stock up on to make an order large enough to make orders worth while.

I buy from Golden Triangle Specialty metals in Cambridge. They don't specialize in aluminium but they have a varied stock of steel, aluminium and plastic as well as the saws to cut it up.

I buy from Golden Triangle Specialty metals in Cambridge. They don't specialize in aluminium but they have a varied stock of steel, aluminium and plastic as well as the saws to cut it up.

I have dealt with Golden Triangle also. Pretty good guys.They even had chrome-moly tubing at one time, in stock.

Pattnmaker, there is that place just outside of Caledonia on the Hamilton side and not too far off of HWY.6. Maybe you have dealt with them before. They have a large selection of just about everything, in steel and alum.
Damned if I can remember the name of the place, but it will come to me,hopefully.
It was an older Hungarian fellow who owned it, I think he has passed on now but his son has taken over.
He gets a lot of overruns. He has a fairly large inventory.
You may just get lucky.
Dave
I think the place is called Glanford Iron and Metal.

Last edited:
I will try Golden triangle and Kawartha. Never thought of Glandford Iron I have not been there in years. My only worry about them is I don't know if they know what they have, "it's aluminum". It is worth a call though as they are often pretty cheap.

I have gotten a reasonable price form my small local supplier, Industrial Material Center. It took them over a day to get me a price and last time it took days. I really want to try and find a place that has it in stock and will cut it from plate rather than having to bring it in

Does 6061 T6 move around too much for what you are doing?

Not sure. I have always been told "cast plate" is needed to prevent warping. A metal salesman who does not carry anything suitable who used to sell a lot of aluminum tells me 7075 mould plate would be suitable.

This is the sort of thing I would be making. Often not as much flat around the edges more cut out of the middle. I cut this one a few months ago.

Attachments

• RIMG0575.jpg
    RIMG0575.jpg
    94.7 KB · Views: 528
Have you tried ThyssenKrupp? They would have it. They have all different flavors and they deliver. Your quantities don't seem too low for them.

Not sure. I have always been told "cast plate" is needed to prevent warping. A metal salesman who does not carry anything suitable who used to sell a lot of aluminum tells me 7075 mould plate would be suitable.

This is the sort of thing I would be making. Often not as much flat around the edges more cut out of the middle. I cut this one a few months ago.

Your attachment doesn't show up for me, but I would suggest trying it with plain old 6061 flat bar.

Back