What's new
What's new

OT: Winter Coat Recomendations

Johnny SolidWorks

Hot Rolled
My trusty ten year old Carhart is starting to show its age. The cuffs are all frayed and worn on the inside, pockets coming off, etc. I'm looking to replace it with something that will hopefully last just as long, but I really have no idea what's out there for good brand names.

It would also be nice to find a coat that I can wear to a decent restaurant without having someone tell me "deliveries go out back." I'll keep my (green canvas) Carhart for work and whatnot, but I'd be really interested to hear your input on a rugged everyday winter coat.

What is it about people? They have something they like, that works well, and lasts a long time. They need to replace it, and suddenly they want to get something totally different...

I'd be tracking down a direct replacement for the current unit.

I wear a new carhartt for the day job, desk work.

I get it dry cleaned once a year.

When it starts to fray at the wrists, I simply demote it
to farm usage, and purchase a new, crisp one.

Farm ones, I just wash in the laundry.

My trusty ten year old Carhart is starting to show its age. The cuffs are all frayed and worn on the inside, pockets coming off, etc. I'm looking to replace it with something that will hopefully last just as long, but I really have no idea what's out there for good brand names.

It would also be nice to find a coat that I can wear to a decent restaurant without having someone tell me "deliveries go out back." I'll keep my (green canvas) Carhart for work and whatnot, but I'd be really interested to hear your input on a rugged everyday winter coat.

I wear a Carhart everywhere, Not impressed with the one I am wearing now though, 1 year old and the zipper is acting up.

The real issue is with the garment industry. Why doesn't he buy another one just like it? Because they don't sell them anymore. In fact, they stopped selling them about 6 weeks after he bought it.

And even if they do sell the same coat...it won't be the the same. That's because the textile industry will have come up with some cheaper or polyester infused 'better' fabric than what was used 10 years ago. Or they will have added or deleted pockets or changed the zipper or....

I like Berne since Carhart moved so much of their production out of the US. More different styles and color choices out of cotton canvas than Carhart as well.

I have a couple of Carharts, beat up canvas one and pretty black nylon shell.
Both made in USA. Canvas duck gets uglier by the day, but still works great. Black synthetic is a bit warmer, and looks new 2 years after I bought it.

Over the last several years, I've had a couple of canvas coats that were short sleeve. They were great, not having to spend half the day rolling my sleeves up over and over. One was Cathart, the other Dickey. Neither of them make them anymore. I sure would like to find another.

I'm glad you asked that. My Sunday newspaper supplement had an article about men's winter coats. You be pleased to know that " Coach " do a copy of the Green US Army M-65 combat jacket at the bargain price of £625 !

Will it be as good as the genuine Tiger Stripe M-65 combat jacket I bought for about £40 a few years back ?

Regards Tyrone.

I like my canvas Carhartt a lot, but the ends of the cuffs are badly frayed after just 1 year :(.

Regards.

Mike

Find yourself a seamstress or good ''sewing lady'' and get her to out a hardwearing tape around the cuffs, like my late Mum used to do with my Ex German Nato Parkas .....IME these days such services don't come cheap, .. but quality costs ;)

My present mending and sewing lady get's through a fair amount of Terrys All Gold Chocolates (dark of course - she's a Lady ) and Tio Pepe Sherry :D

You be pleased to know that " Coach " do a copy of the Green US Army M-65 combat jacket at the bargain price of £625 !

Regards Tyrone.

Tyrone -

Wonder what my two 1972 genuine articles that I still wear are worth? Guess I paid maybe $10 each for them from Uncle Sam. I'm sure the 2 NATO camouflage ones I had to 'upgrade' to in the 80s at some price like $20 are not as valuable. At least with my name on them I know who they belong to.

Think I'll skip the 'Coach' interpretation - probably not as well made as my 72 models.....

Dale

Tyrone -

Wonder what my two 1972 genuine articles that I still wear are worth? Guess I paid maybe $10 each for them from Uncle Sam. I'm sure the 2 NATO camouflage ones I had to 'upgrade' to in the 80s at some price like $20 are not as valuable. At least with my name on them I know who they belong to.

Think I'll skip the 'Coach' interpretation - probably not as well made as my 72 models.....

Dale

I've had the tiger stripe for about 30 years, still as good as new. I also had the olive green version for working out doors. You can't beat them, great value. Have a look at the " Coach " version on the Internet. It's full of stupid inappropriate badges in stupid places.

I also have one of those green nylon zip up flying jackets still in great condition and about 35 years old. I was giving a pal a help with wall papering. I'd taken the jacket off and left it on a chair. My pal's wife tripped up and spilt a large dollop of wall paper paste all down the front. I was really pissed off but when I wiped it down with a wet cloth it was as good as new. Great quality.

Regards Tyrone.

£650 for an M-65 copy. Stupid when, according to the top result from Mr Google, you can get what claims to be a genuine USA made by Alpha Industries off Amazon for £150. Claimed waterproof too which would be change!

Never saw the attraction myself. Like aircrew bomber jackets exactly the wrong length.

Clive

Last edited:
In the last few years, Carhartt has shifted towards "fashion". Actually, they have been doing small run collaborations with skate and streetware designers since the mid 90s, and its a lot more profitable per piece than jeans or jackets for working men. In japan, the Carhartt fashion-y limited edition stuff sells for hundreds of bucks per piece. The Carhartt WIP line, which is mostly sold in Japan, sells overalls for $200, and jean and canvas jackets for $300 to $400.
they have dropped a lot of their workwear, in favor of sportswear.
While they still have 4 factories in the USA, they also have 4 factories in Mexico.
I like to wear Carhartt double knee work pants, and in the winter, the flannel lined ones. They are currently not showing, on their website, a work jean, with hammer loops or double knees, in a flannel or fleece lining. Sometimes you can find em on Amazon, which leads me to believe that they dont list everything they make on their own website?
Weird.

I still like Carhartts, myself- I have fleece lined vest I wear most days, and a flannel lined long jacket that is what I wear when driving the forklift in the rain- a common need in the NW.

I have never seen the Berne stuff out here, but looking online, I see no evidence of any kind that its made in the USA- the website is very careful to dance around this, making no claims of any kind about the clothes, just bragging that the family that owns it has lived here a long time, and they are listed as an importer on more biz-biz sites.

I haven't had a Duluth Trading Company coat, but I've been very happy with their pants and jeans. Comfortable and long wearing. Might be worth a look.

I see no evidence of any kind that its made in the USA-

I don't think any of the Berne stuff is USA made, but its also priced like its made in Bangladesh. Carhart still has the "Made in USA" pricing on the Mexican made stuff.

10 years same carhartt ?

Bomber jackets ?

Apparently no one slides under a car in the snow & ice
to hook up a tow chain ?

Or Y'all doing it nekid at -20f in a 35 mph snowstorm ?

Back