What's new
What's new

Change Gears with mystery components

ArtTech

Aluminum
Hello all, I recently acquired as surplus to items I needed, a group of change gears. I believe the gears are change gears for a Harrison or Clausing lathe. The internal spline bore is a hex key measuring 1.010" at the outside and .850" at the inside, with a width of .510". I have a link to pictures of the gears and misc parts.
My question is do these gears belong to a Harrison or clausing lathe with their internal configuration? The other question is what is the purpose of the handle, cap, shaft, and bushing included with these gears? ArtTech

link to Pics:

gears2_zpshwmdx5ff.jpg

gears1_zpsit2pfce0.jpg

Last edited:
I'm thinking dividing head (the little crank) and its lead attachment.
The shaft would be used to drive the lead attachment.

Perhaps Kearney Trecker, perhaps Brown & Sharpe.

Harrison generally used a key way in there change gears, cochester used the 6flute spline, as did a few others.

^ Why pretty much any lathe with a given lead screw used the same tooth counts. Equally most makes made a lot of odd tooth counts off chart for specials too, hence how does it help?

Harison change gears are all 5/8" thick too key-way only and are generally cast iron through out the size range. Well at least uptill there later lathes when they joined up with colchester, think they too went to 6 tooth spline then but must have been around the 1980-1990 time range.

As perviously stated. They're K&T change gears for the 5798 conventional lead attachment

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    20.3 KB · Views: 83
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    18.3 KB · Views: 81

Back