What's new
What's new

checking press ram for play

Die sets certainly help with alingment in a die set but properly adjusted ways on a press ram are important. Leader pins will deflect under load. Bliss has a manual showing the proper way to adjust the ram.

hanita

its a 1400 ton Verson press, about 30 years old.
Sounds like a double crank straight side with a rather big bed.

Before you get wrapped up in guess's from people that dont know, call a pro and have him look a it.

Big presses like that are checked for clearance on the gibs. Using a feeler gauge between the ram and gibs. There are different schools of thought on how to exactly do it, counterbalance on or off, things like that. Also depends on what type of gibbing you have, 4,6 or 8 point. Big presses like that are not fun to work on at all.

some people use hydraulic load cells and check deflections under loads. are you experiencing issues witht he machine? or is this a new purchase inspection?

I just noticed I said press brake, I ment punch press. oops.
keep in mind if you are inspecting for purchase that the gibs are all adjustable and are ment to wear and are easily replaceable, althougth they not going to be cheap for a 1400 ton verson. BTW Verson is still around, someone bought them out so they are the ones to call, the old Verson was always helpful.
I have adjusted gibs on good sized presses and it is a pain to do. When I said that the precision guidance comes from the die set I did not mean to imply that it is ok for the ram to be rattling around inside the gibs.

play can also mean lash in the rod bearings. I have seen many smaller obi's that have 1/8" or more " slop veritically" from crank and rod bearing wear. In that case, bring the press on bottom, dial indicator against the ram face, see how much you can jack her up. More info on the type of inspection would be helpful, but for actual industry specs, I am with John, call Verson. If you are not very familiar with this type of equipment I am sure they will hire out a tech or recomend a service to inspect it for you if you desire.

Back