What's new
What's new

Chuck removal--Milwaukee Mag Drill

alex71

Hot Rolled
Hey all, I picked up a nice used Milwaukee Mag drill on craigslist the other day. It has a big burly Jacobs 3/4" chuck on it, which is nice, but I have a project where I will have to align/drill/tap over 70 holes, so I will be doing a lot of bit changing... I figured I'd put a spare Albrecht keyless chuck in it and make the task all that much easier.

The drill has a 3MT taper, and according to the manual I unscrew the threaded collar and the taper adapter comes out, then just tap the tang to remove the chuck and arbor... I have thus far been unsuccessful at unscrewing the collar, even going as far as chucking a big hex key and using a strap wrench (in both directions). I'm hesitant to whale on it with a dead blow or lead hammer, but I will if that's the prescribed procedure. It doesn't look rusty or anything, just tight. Any ideas? Thanks.

Here are a couple of pics. The locking collar can be seein the second pic. (click to enlarge).

Figured it out. Placed a large hex key in the chuck, rotated until the hex key hit the drill body (with a block of wood between), gave the ring a few good whacks with a hammer and brass drift and it loosened right up.

Back