What's new
What's new

Chuck size for a 9' benchtop lathe

szilvesztera

Plastic
Hi, newbie here. I've been wanting to get into machining for a while now, as a hobby, and I finally purchased my first piece of equipment. It's a Wabeco D2400 german benchtop lathe (bought used for 950 USD equivalent):

eszterga.jpg

It's 220mm swing with 500mm between centers, so around 9' x 20', comes with a 100mm/4' three jaw chuck. The first addition I want to make is definitely a 4 jaw independent chuck, and I think the best size would probably be 5' which I can get new for around a 130 bucks. I live in Romania, so old USSR gear is available for cheaper, but the sizes start at 160mm/6'-ish. I can get a 160mm 4 jaw independent for 50 bucks or so. Do you think this little lathe could handle a chuck that size or should I just bite the bullet on a new, more appropriately sized chuck?

Also, I want to just pour a big slab of concrete and bolt the lathe down to it to improve stability, do you think it noticeably helps? If you have any quick and easy improvement/first step ideas, I'm all ears.

More information on the lathe here, but no there is no comment on the OEM chuck offerings.

Page Title

But it is stated that the spindle has a 3 Morse taper with a 20 mm bore. That information indicates to me that you should not use a heavy chuck, or one larger than 125 mm in diameter. The lathe is very lightly built, so a concrete base would probably not be better than a thick timber base.

Save your concrete for a time when you get a heavier machine. Most small shops start with light machines and gradually improve with more industrial quality as time goes by and experience is gained.

Larry

IMO a 6'' 4 jaw will be okay, just bear in mind imbalance and speeds .....take a little extra care.

To the naysayers

It's actually German, so that knocks one of the no - no's out, .........please bear in mind the OP is in Romania where I suspect it's hard to find machine tools of any sort, so the OP probably had to take what he could get.

Ref Page Title

Or put another way -can we lighten up guys ;) ............oh and the 9' is actually typo ,........not that any of you ever make mistakes.

The second section of this forum is a division for South Bend lathes:
http://www.practicalmachinist.com/vb/south-bend-lathes/
"The most Popular American Lathe"
They are much more tolerant in that part of the forum. And the size of your lathe would fit right in. I have a South Bend 9C (also bench top) that I still use regularly in my commercial shop. The SB came with a 6 inch chuck as mentioned by Larry V. I later got a better quality 5 inch that I am happier with, more because of the quality of the chuck than the size. So 5 or 6 inch would be very good.

In the second section of this forum is a division for South Bend lathes:
http://www.practicalmachinist.com/vb/south-bend-lathes/
"The most Popular American Lathe"
They are much more tolerant in that part of the forum. And the size of your lathe would fit right in. I have a South Bend 9C (also bench top) that I still use regularly in my commercial shop. The SB came with a 6 inch chuck as mentioned by Larry V. I later got a better quality 5 inch that I am happier with, more because of the quality of the chuck than the size. So 5 or 6 inch would be very good.

The chuck makes the lathe so would spring for the better chuck..what ever that may be.
know how and when to leave a skim and go to centers when needing close.

10 extra minuets going to centers can make a part 100% better.

keep a lot of stubs because they can be chucked and make a one use chucked mandrel.Yes with a having slight taper or fit then lock at taper. Some times great for back-side at flipping part.

How big a diameter can you swing over the apron? probably no need for a chuck any bigger then that. That seems to be the relation to the size of a steady rest for a lathe.
My Father's 9" south bend lathe came with a 5" 3 jaw and a 6" 4 jaw chuck.
Bill D.
Modesto, CAlifornia USA

Last edited:
Regarding other improvements, an Aloris-style quick change tool post and an assortment of tool holders will make your life much easier.

I really like my Variable Frequency Drive, too!

Regarding other improvements, an Aloris-style quick change tool post and an assortment of tool holders will make your life much easier.

I really like my Variable Frequency Drive, too!

One of the pictures on Tony's Wabeco page shows a lathe with a little size Aa 40 position quick change tool post, like a German Multi-Suisse or AXA brand. German stuff is probably easier to get in Europe than an American Aloris. Does Aloris make one that small? Are there European copies?

Larry

Looks like a highly regarded German hobby and craft lathe and seems the OPs machine a steal at $900 because it seems they may run close to $3K (?)

Bed ways look like steel rolls , Threads .4 to 4. Mm and Imp 10-32, weight about 130lbs, spindle bore 3/4
*One thread I read made it seem the threading ability was an option(?).
Looks like a larger CNC might be $15K or so,
https://www.emcomachinetools.co.uk/image/data/0/wabeco/Wabecomachineprices2015.pdf

looks like the D6000 a cast iron bed 10-24 with .25-7 mm and 10-40 TPI for about $4K
inductively hardened and ground guideways..1 1/8 spindle bore optional for +$200. ball screw +$1400

*looks like the (a) better small lathe for the guy who is not so set on a lowest price. IMHO

Can you thread with this lathe? I do not see any provision for changing gear ratios for different thread spacing.
Bill D

I do have the optional change gear set for both metric and imperial threading. Funnily enough, it's a toothed belt + gears setup, which, together with the cylindrical guide ways makes for an oddball machine. A new chinese import similar size would've cost me almost twice as much, and old USSR gear is available, but usually starts at 2000 pounds weight, which i didn't want to commit to as a beginner. Thanks!

Change gears Z 16,18,20,22, 24, 28,32,34, 36, &40 optional..
One might call the company for the price..

OP bought a used machine so should not compare with new..Likely this is a better machine than a China bargain lathe.
Likely well worth the purchase of change gears.(if in good condition)

$140. plus postage a good price for gears.
Wabeco Set of 1 Change Gears

Yes best to call to be sure for the OPs lathe..

Rusty Ebay one with no change gears for almost $5K
PRAZI II APOLLO WABECO PRECISION LATHE D24-DLX + ELECTRONIC FEED 8 X 2" 115V | eBay

3201 euros = $3950
plus 399ur for 1 1/2 spindle bore, 110ur for change gear set..

So about $4590 US dollars for a nice but small lathe...
still likely a nice lathe..

Don't know, Don't think it has an offset tail feature for a taper..

Back