What's new
What's new

Cincinnati 2MI Horizontal Mill tooling for newbie

landrand

Plastic
Yesterday, I bought a Cincinnati No.2MI Horizontal Mill (serial # 2J2P5A-47) for $500. The machine was stored unused in a guys shop for twenty years and was previously used in a local high school shop. Since the machine wasn't hooked up to power I wasn't able to test or verify the machine runs, but overall it looks to be in very nice shape. I've been looking for about 8 months for a decent mill so I was happy to find this one about an hour from me. The mill doesn't have any tooling or cutters except for what is shown in the attached picture. I believe it is a 50 taper from what I read from an online brochure.

Unfortunately, I am brand spankin new to milling. I don't plan to use the machine in a business environment but instead plan to use it for various hobby type functions in my shop when I retire in a couple of years. I own a sawmill, have a small farm, and like to work on heavy equipment/big trucks so I'm sure I'll find good use for the mill. I have never used a milling machine before so I have plenty of learning to do. Since the mill didn't come with any tooling/cutters etc, I was wondering if you guys can list out various basic items/tooling I will need to find for this mill to be somewhat useful. I'm not sure what I would need except generic stuff like end mills and cutters but I'm hoping you can give me some basics so I can scour the internet for purchase. Any info or help for the newbie would be greatly appreciated.

Cincinatti 2 M1 mill.jpg

Nice mill. Almost identical to mine. I've seen 50 taper go pretty cheap when I was hunting to tool mine. Think I got most of mine for around 10$. Had to spend a little more once I got the basics for ones I wanted.

If you look on youtube, keith fenner (turnwright machine) and I'm sure many others do actual jobs using big horizontals like yours.

If it came with or you can find a vertical head, that would seem to be handy.

By the maker - 102 years ago

There is also a much slicker version by the same title from the fifties - massive pub with red hard covers and top quality paper

A treatise on milling and milling machines .. : Cincinnati Milling Machine Company : Free Download, Borrow, and Streaming : Internet Archive

This looks like an excellent resource to start with. Thanks.

Also, I found a Craigslist ad of someone who is selling used carbide end mills, which would be about an hour drive for me. What's your opinion on starting out with some of these used end mills?

Used End Mill Carbides - business/commercial - by owner - sale

Had a cheapy catalog right in front of me. Just a quick look showed a 1\2 for about 20$. So if it were me id be lookin pretty close at em.

Back