What's new
What's new

Need info on Leblond material and heat treat. Any old Leblond machinist out there

trademarkmachine

Aluminum
Hi all:

From time to time we make repair parts for Leblond. This is the company that bought the Leblond name and the repair parts drawings.
They are right down the street from us.

But I have a question on the material and heat treat codes they have on the drawings.

One material code I have seen pretty often is 6-OD. I am thinking this is 1018 CRS.

as far as heat treat codes N-5 ?????
and N-10????

If any one has any Leblond info. I would like to see it.

And yes...I have asked them what all this means and They don't seem to know.

Sorry this does not directly answer your question, but I run into the same type of issue. I get parts in the shop for New Britain screw machines (there is a rebuilder locally). The material codes on the drawings are of no use. We use what is appropriate for the part. Many of the parts are 1144 SP, 4140 PHT, or Nitrided 4140 PHT.

Bill

Same here, '50s and '60s.

We have one part that is made frequently in a quantity of 5 or so. The drawing calls for two pieces to be friction-welded together with the wear points induction-hardened. Much simpler to make it one-piece out of 4140 round and have the whole thing nitrided.

I think some of the manufacturing methods and materials are not as relevant today as they where 60 years ago.

Bill

Back