What's new
What's new

Clausing 6308 lathe question

JM74

Plastic
Hello,
I'm new to this forum. I'm looking to purchase a a Clausing model 6308. My questions is are these good lathes for $1,000 dollars? Can it cut metric threads and is it a big deal that the bed is not Flamed Harden? Model 6308 also marked 2-2698
Thanks Jeff

I am not sure that is a good deal unless the lathe is in very good condition. I have a 5914 which is a newer version with flamed hardened bed that I got for slightly more than that. Metric is not built in on these, it was an optional special banjo with metric gears which is fairly expensive.

The Clausing 6300 series lathe is a good lathe in that it is a 12-3/4 swing and an engine lathe. Check to make sure the bearings are good and the back gears aren't messed up. It is also a L00 spindle which is uncommon but not impossible to find chucks for. The parts are still available but wicked expensive. As far as price, it depends on your area. I'm in the PNW and clapped out lathes go for stupid high prices.

If you are looking to cut metric threads, I wouldn't recommend purchasing 'old iron'. American lathes from that era never cut metric threads without an attachment. I would recommend looking for a newer european or <ducks for cover> taiwanese lathe to get built in metric thread cutting.

If it has a metric thread chart on it it will cut a metric thread.You will have to change gears and with an inch based lead screw you won't be able to disengage the half nuts and will have to reverse the lathe to run the carriage back for the next cut.
If this is one with a variable speed, check if it holds where you set it. The Clausings I used at tech school had a hydraulic adjuster that went bad.
When trying it out do not adjust the speed without the spindle running, this will blow out seals.

For a small lathe I thought they were pretty solid, most I saw used were very used with issues.

Dave

Back