What's new
What's new

Clausing 8530 help

OkOkie

Plastic
New member with a new project. Acquired a Clausing 8530 mill in decent shape but missing a few parts. The spindle coarse down feed handle, spindle fine down feed hand wheel and spindle brake lever are all missing. I need to know the diameter and length of the brake lever and the down feed handle. Also how the brake lever attaches to the cam. If some one had a hand wheel they would part with I would be very interested.
Any help appreciated.
Thanks,
Jim

OkOkie, this section isnt really set up for parts or general information. I am relocating your thread to the General forum where you will get more views.

Charles

My 8520 was missing the fine feed hand wheel too, I just bought a small generic one, bored it to fit and put a set screw in it.

You could make a down feed handle pretty easy, it's just a "donut" that fits over the down feed shaft with a pin to engage it. Or here's a guy that has some for $45:

http://www.flywheelmachinetools.com/PARTSclausing.html

I would call Clausing for the brake lever, they still have some parts.

There's a pretty active Yahoo group, you might also ask there:

Yahoo! Groups

Thanks for the links Terry. I have the hub and pin for the down feed lever but no rod. Just would like to have the rod dia., length and approximate bend angle of the lever. Need the dia. and length for the brake lever also. I'll check over at Yahoo Groups too.
I did fine a suitable hand wheel and handle that would just need the drive pin added...$50. Still cheaper than Clausing.

Thanks for the links Terry. I have the hub and pin for the down feed lever but no rod. Just would like to have the rod dia., length and approximate bend angle of the lever. Need the dia. and length for the brake lever also. I'll check over at Yahoo Groups too.
I did fine a suitable hand wheel and handle that would just need the drive pin added...$50. Still cheaper than Clausing.

Just a not that Clausing has been known to supply drawings for parts that they no longer supply for nominal or no cost. If you have no other luck, I have an 8520 which has the same parts that you are missing (I think) and might be able to provide you some dimensional issue. PM me if you want to pursue as I only get here once a week or so.

Thank you Charles....I just took a guess as where to start.

No problem lots of folks make that same decision, I can assure you it is ok. Next time you are in the reconditioning forum read the stickys at the top of the forum. They explain what sort of posts are preferred. I hope you find the information you are looking for.

Charles

The down feed handle is 5/16", looks like just CRS, maybe 30* angle?

The brake is 1/4", looks like it threads into the body.

DSCN5748.JPG

DSCN5749.JPG

DSCN5750.JPG

Handwheel picture and diameter?

Mine is missing the down feed handwheel. Clausing has it for $140 but I am hoping to find a cheaper alternative. Is it possible someone could post a picture and the diameter of it? Thanks!

Jim,

I have a 8530 and I think that I have an extra fine feed wheel. I will have to double check once I get home. If not I can get you dimension and a few pictures of it.

~Jason

FF Wheel

Thanks Jason, if you have one please let me know how much you want for it, if not, pictures and dimensions would be great. I appreciate it.

I checked over the weekend. The hand wheel I thinking of is for a Bridgeport. Here are a few pictures with just a tape measure for general reference. If you would like more detailed dimensions let me know and I can get them.

Attachments

• IMG_20180217_095212000.jpg
    IMG_20180217_095212000.jpg
    101.3 KB · Views: 91
  • IMG_20180217_095239892_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20180217_095239892_HDR.jpg
    84.7 KB · Views: 85
  • IMG_20180217_095312585.jpg
    IMG_20180217_095312585.jpg
    100.5 KB · Views: 106
My 8520 has issues with the break.Before you manufacture or purchase a lever make sure that the break mechanism will contact the inside of the pulley. Clausing told me that the inside of the pulley wears out and that the pulley is no longer made, I grab the v belt.

Back