What's new
What's new

bridgeport shaper slotter e cutters

oprod

Aluminum
I would like to buy a few of these cutters if anyone has a spare they would consider parting with. Any tips on using the shaper would also be appreciated. I am also wondering if anyone has installed a file into the machine to make a quasi die filer?:skep:

I used regular boring bars and hss holders in a couple different configurations for several little projects in al and cast iron. My e head doesn't have a clapper, but it doesn't matter much, just have to feed lightly. Calling these heads "shapers" is kind of ambitious. I've seen a couple set up for steps in production work though.

As far as suggestions, keep the cuts light- the setup is fairly bouncy. You might consider adjusting the gib to keep a slight drag on the ram so it doesn't bang when contacting the work. But they do work pretty well within their envelope, I did several 1/4" internal keyways with mine- very convenient- I wouldn't hesitate to go larger. I keep hoping to need a weird tapered keyway where the knuckle setup would be perfect.

If you do try the hss & boring bar approach, you should pay close attention to the rake of the tool, too little and the work will tend to push it away until theres enough overhang to force the cut- which is then too deep. That will looks something like (feed .002, no cut, feed .002, no cut, feed .002, massive .008 cut and maybe stall the head). If the tool is cutting well, you'll get little cheese curl chips on each stroke after you feed. The tool's edge should be sharp and honed smooth. The longer the cutting edge, the more the tool will try and push away. I found it happiest with a 1/2" diam or bigger boring bar in the ram (as short as possible), and a stub of a hss cutting bit on the work. You might consider buying some el-cheapo boring bars from victor or equiv and cutting them in half. The official cutters probably work best though.

I never tried using it as a filer, probably would work but be cumbersome...

Greg

Back