What's new
What's new

What pipe sizes are available??

othello159

Cast Iron
I wish I knew the various available sizes of materials like T sections, beams and such.
Right now I am looking for DOM tubing in the 2 1/2" OD and various wall thicknesses.
My supplier has me tell him the sizes (whatever comes to my mind) and then goes off to search for it.
I would like to spare him and me theses wild goose chases, but I have not come across a list of commonly available sizes. He doesn't have one either.

So is there such listing??

Uwe

Catalog from steel supplier

Hello Uwe, Call a steel supplier (Ryererson, Central Steel are local ones) and ask for a catalog (I think they are called) or stock list. List all sizes of steel available structural, hot rolled, cold rolled, low med, hi carbon, etc. Regards, Earl

Your "Machinery's Handbook" has data on pipe. The "Kidder-Parker Architectural Handbook" has information on structural shapes. Ramsay-Sleeper has a lot of information on shapes, too. It's been years since I used these books but I believe the R-S is called "Standards for Architectural Design" or something similar. I'd check for the exact title but my copy chooses to not be found right now. If you don't have these books available to you, and can't find a source, check John King Used Books in Detroit. It's one of the largest used bookstores anywhere and easy to deal with.

Steve

What pipe sizes are available??

I wish I knew the various available sizes of materials like T sections, beams and such.
Right now I am looking for DOM tubing in the 2 1/2" OD and various wall thicknesses.

Make sure your not mixing drugs (Kant cancel the bloody bold on this line! ??? )

Your talking pipe in the title and sounds like your looking for DOM tubing. Make sure you understand the diff.

Bloody bold :willy_nilly:

-------------------

Oh Bother!
Ox

Ryerson has an extensive stock of tubing and they operate a tube mill of their own. I was talking to the local Ryerson rep a couple weeks ago, and asked something about tubing stock and he told me about their mill. Honestly can't remember for sure if they do any DOM in house, or just ERW. But he said they do stock a lot of DOM as well as ERW in both mill finish and P&O.

Marmon Keystone probably has more tube than any other national warehouser, but I've never found their prices to be competitive on small quantities.

On heavy wall tubing, its often easier to find seamless as compared to DOM. Seamless is also available in many more chemistries and alloys than welded tube, particularly from people like Michigan Seamless.

Back