What's new
What's new

CMNG Inserts

garcher

Aluminum
Hi everyone.Just a quick question about inserts.I am a home shop machinist and dont want to carry a lot of different inserts for my tool holders.I have a Cazanuve lathe thats is about 12 HP.I turn mild steel,316 SS,Aluminum,and some bronze bushing brass.So far I have a tool holder that uses the CNMG 432 inserts and one that uses TNMG 432 inserts.I dont know much about the grades of inserts.Hoping to get some suggestions for my application.

thanks,Glenn

Also be aware that the CN style of insert is also made in other varieties, such as CNMP, CNGG, CNGP, all of those are usually available as upsharp aluminum/nonferrous and light finishing inserts. Same general insert shape, different style of manufacture and edge prep.

Last edited:
I would suggest 1 more holder for CCGT 43* type chips, They are very good for soft stuff. For stainless I generally use a Seco cnmg432mr4 cp250. Note: 432 = 1/32 nose radius 431 = 1/64, both are nice to have. Ebay is great for picking up singles of different chips to try. Latheinserts.com also is good and they have some inexpensive tool holders as well.

I would suggest 1 more holder for CCGT 43* type chips, They are very good for soft stuff. For stainless I generally use a Seco cnmg432mr4 cp250. Note: 432 = 1/32 nose radius 431 = 1/64, both are nice to have. Ebay is great for picking up singles of different chips to try. Latheinserts.com also is good and they have some inexpensive tool holders as well.
Seco tm4000 perform way better for stainless. You should give it a try.

To the op if you got a mfg tjat you prefer or is easier to get it would be a good idea to let us know since every mfg got good carbide insert for every material. Have a good service when you need something ia the key.

Thanks for the replies.While we've got things going what are the best and most common parting,cutoff,and threading holders and inserts?I've seen Curtis's name mentioned often on this forum.How does his inserts compare to the major manufacturers?

Thanks,Glenn

Thanks for the replies.While we've got things going what are the best and most common parting,cutoff,and threading holders and inserts?I've seen Curtis's name mentioned often on this forum.How does his inserts compare to the major manufacturers?

Thanks,Glenn

For cutoff it all come down to the brand you use. For threading ive try a couple brand a always prefer the carmex one. They have a huge variety of choice and always work like a charm.

For cutoff my lathe all have seco 3mm partoff. On my cnc lathe i would not be able to work without my seco mdt. Walter also make realy good partoff/grooving insert.

Back