What's new
What's new

CNC Machinist/Programmers

ttuckercnc

Plastic
Hi All,
I am new to the site - I have been look at threads from other machinist for some time now and everyone on the site seems to have a real passion for machining..
I have been searching for a Prototype CNC Programmer/Machinist for about two months now and not having a lot of luck finding that right fit for our newly established medical device machine shop - we have been getting by with moonlighting support, but to take our business to that next level, we MUST have a Top notch machinist that can take a Print to a final product milling and turning, as we are now specializing on the Device Prototype side of the business at the moment.

We are located just outside the Memphis, TN area and there are many Medical device shops in this area that are supporting the Medical Device OEM market, but still having trouble finding that right person that wants to join a start-up shop and be apart of something very special starting at the ground floor.

Any suggestions or interest from anyone that wants to join an up and coming shop and be apart of building something very special.

Thanks

A good start would be to follow forum protocol and post this in the "Career Opportunities" section. I don't think you'll have a problem finding a top notch machinist if you're willing to provide top notch wages. I suspect the phrase "be apart of something very special starting at the ground floor" means ground floor wages.

Just so you know they type of guy you are looking for likely already earns in the 30$/hr range or more and wont leave there present employer without a big incentive. In the small pool of machinist the fella you need is 1 in a 100.

Just so you know they type of guy you are looking for likely already earns in the 30$/hr range or more and wont leave there present employer without a big incentive. In the small pool of machinist the fella you need is 1 in a 100.

Yeah I agree and to fish that 1 guy out it's gonna take some stank bait, something that's gonna get his attention.

Personally compensation is why I come here and is what would get me to jump ship and go. Being part of something special is low on my priority list.

I'm more then a bit skeptical about the conditions of the job when someone posts looking to fill "prototype/programmer top notch machinist" job opening as if they looking for someone special and mention nothing about compensation.

Other than being part of something special you say nothing about pay, overtime possibilities, Vacation, paid days off, what shift is the job and is there a shift premium, 401K/Retirement savings, Health Insurance, and can't understand why?

I'm not trying beat you up here Pal. I'm just flabbergasted by how many people post a job listing on a Machinist Web site when possibility of reaching the people you seek is so likely without no mention of bait. The person your seeking is typically looking for more than just a job.

Brent

Brent - Its obvious to me as a Business owner - I would not be interested in someone like yourself.
Being a part of something special is about not being another number to a company/Boss OR owner.

A company that is special - means great compensation, environment and room for professional growth - just not a paycheck.

Thanks Brent...

Brent - Its obvious to me as a Business owner - I would not be interested in someone like yourself.
Being a part of something special is about not being another number to a company/Boss OR owner.

A company that is special - means great compensation, environment and room for professional growth - just not a paycheck.

Thanks Brent...

With that kind of attitude you had better get used to the idea that you are not likely to find a top tier machinist. You will probably be lucky to find someone passably competent. The person you think you want will, by necessity, have already "been there, done that" to get those skills and knowledge. At that point, most of us have already had the "excited about being part of this company" mentality beaten out of us. We are doing this because we love making things and want to find someone to pay us to make those things. Otherwise we do something else and make things in our garage. Not because we're excited about your particular widget.

With that kind of attitude you had better get used to the idea that you are not likely to find a top tier machinist. You will probably be lucky to find someone passably competent. The person you think you want will, by necessity, have already "been there, done that" to get those skills and knowledge. At that point, most of us have already had the "excited about being part of this company" mentality beaten out of us. We are doing this because we love making things and want to find someone to pay us to make those things. Otherwise we do something else and make things in our garage. Not because we're excited about your particular widget.

Disagree.

Not everyone is just chasing a dollar. For me (and I know I'm not alone) so long as my general baseline finances are adequately met, I want to go to work somewhere interesting that accommodates my personal ambition, and at the end of the day, is something I can be proud to have been a part of. I'd rather grow old and be happy to have contributed to great ideas/projects/causes in my career.

No one here speaks for the entire pool of machinists/programmers so stop shitting on a job opportunity for someone who might fit. If you don't; move on. Someone here may.

Disagree.

Not everyone is just chasing a dollar. For me (and I know I'm not alone) so long as my general baseline finances are adequately met, I want to go to work somewhere interesting that accommodates my personal ambition, and at the end of the day, is something I can be proud to have been a part of. I'd rather grow old and be happy to have contributed to great ideas/projects/causes in my career.

No one here speaks for the entire pool of machinists/programmers so stop shitting on a job opportunity for someone who might fit. If you don't; move on. Someone here may.

Nobody or at least I wasn't shitting on a job opportunity just the listing. Everyone wants their general baseline finances covered. That is why someone will take this job and mentioning salary or benefits in the offer IMHO isn't a bad idea if your actually trying to attract people with this ability is the only point I was trying to make.

OP... Good luck I hope you find someone that fits in well at your company.

Brent

Back