What's new
What's new

Daewoo / Ikegai A20 lathe - total length ?

Milacron

Administrator
Staff member
Don, mine measures 127" inluding the door knob on the change gear door. I paid $2000.00 for mine plus shipping from NY state($3500).
The listed machine has a 3" hole in the spindle, nice, but does not appear to have metric threading. Also missing are the numerical counters. altho it does have a trav-a-dial.
very nice machines but rare. Doug in Cold Lake, Alberta.

Don, mine measures 127" inluding the door knob on the change gear door. I paid $2000.00 for mine plus shipping from NY state($3500).
The listed machine has a 3" hole in the spindle, nice, but does not appear to have metric threading. Also missing are the numerical counters. altho it does have a trav-a-dial.
very nice machines but rare. Doug in Cold Lake, Alberta.
Is yours an Ikegai or Daewoo ? And what is your distance between centers ? Since my initial post I found another catalog listing that has the footprint length at 132" for the 40" BC and 154" for the 60"BC model...but what really matters is a tape measure on the actual machine.

Re metric threading...are you basing that on the brokers leaving out mention of such or info gleaned from looking at the machine ?

Ikegai A20

Don, my machine is an Ikegai A20 by 60. The seller may have just left out a metric ability.
My operators manual calls for the floor space reguired as 12 ft. or 156". The extra space needed to open the door on the left. Doug

Ah, very intresting about the floor space including a hinged door in open position...hadn't thought of that....thanks folks.

Re metric threading...yeah I just figured the broker left that out as I can't imagine Daewoo making a special unit without it.

Any seperate change gears needed for metric or inch threading that I should tell them to be on the lookout for ?

Re price, I didn't pay anywhere near the eBay price...although if it had a 4 jaw chuck and was for sure in excellent condition I would have paid more than the eBay price.

In fact there was another Daewoo A20 with 3 inch spindle in Forrest City, NC that I examined in person a few years ago that was so nice I offered the owner $10,000 for it...but he wouldn't sell it. (which was ironic as the only reason I was there was for his auction....but he kept some pieces and this was one of them) One of the most impression engine lathes I've ever seen. All the design is lacking is seperate rapid travel motor on the carriage.

I do realize there are some older and uglier and smaller spindle hole Ikegai A20's out there for way less money...but I wanted the newer Daewoo incarnation, for which ya gotta pay a bit more.

But due to pig in poke aspects, wasn't willing to go very high on this eBay one. It supposely is in excellent conditon as well but with numerical counters missing I do wonder about that.

Ikegai A20

The manual indicates the followimg gears to cut these special threads-
11 1/2 tpi- 69 tooth gear
13 tpi- 78 tooth gear ( handy for 1/2" by 13 }
19 tpi- 114 tooth gear

27 tpi- 81 tooth gear
I dont have these gears and suspect they will be hard to find.
My machine came with a 15" three jaw, 12" four jaw, steady rest and part of the taper attmt.
Doug

Back