What's new
What's new

CNC tubing bending

conceptdevelopers

Cast Iron
I was tore where to post this and general won the coin toss. I have some tubing, 5052-0, 1.0" O.D. with a .049" wall. I have sent the model out to a number of places trying to find someone to bend a small quantity of them, 40 parts. I have a step model and a C/L model along with a sketch of the final product. I have attached a screen shot of the models for y'all to see. The problem I'm having is that everyone wants to know angles and radii. If you look at the model you can tell it's a spline.
Am I asking for more than what CNC bending is capable of? What would you do?

Attachments

• Center Line screen shot.JPG
    Center Line screen shot.JPG
    27.6 KB · Views: 128
  • Solid Model screen shot.JPG
    Solid Model screen shot.JPG
    34.2 KB · Views: 132
Last edited:
I use these guys for a couple similar parts, they have been a very good vendor. They can answer your question, my stuff is a bit simpler with angles and radii.

https://tubefab.org/

attachment.php

...Am asking for more than what CNC bending is capable of? What would you do?
Yes, you are.

Draw bending requires the material to be clamped. You can't get free-form shapes that way. You clamp, bend, move, etc.

You can roll bend it, but it's not a precise process- you would have to make a template and have them match it up as best they can.

I would talk to the benders. Go over the requirements, and redesign to be compatible with their equipment.

Redesign it with normal radii and straight sections on the c'line of the tube. Not that hard to do if you have a decent solid modeler like Inventor or SW. I've done a lot of these using 2d sketches, 3d sketches, whatever.

Here is a decent tube bender the company I retired from used a lot: Home | Rising Star Hydraulics | Watertown, SD They do very good work.

There are machines and vendors out there that can bend that part.

Check out Sharpe Products in Milwaukee.

Yes a part with straight sections and one radii would be easier and cheaper to make, but it would not look like the OP's drawing.

Well redesigning a part that airbus has been using for years for a fuel transfer line is not going to be possible.
I was going to ask if it was an aerospace part. It's about the only way to justify the cost. Surprised it's not stainless though.

The machines in that video are what you are looking for- you need the ability to continuous;y feed the material while the bending/rotating is being done. The programming will approximate the spline by breaking it up into zillions of individual blocks of angles/radii.

Back