What's new
What's new

Cold air, what's it good for?

cj133

Aluminum
Hi all,

We've got a cold air gun laying around and I'm wondering if I can use it when milling aluminum?

Could, or should....

I've also got coolant as well as a mister, but our CNC only goes up to 5,000 RPM so I'm wondering if the cold air gun along with a good nozzle to spray chips out could be a good alternative?

Tomorrow I'll be milling out an aluminum vacuum table using a 3/32 carbide endmill. Planning on 5,000 rpm @ 7.5 inches per minute at .093 inches deep.

Could I get by with cold air alone under these conditions?

What is it good for ?

I have a purpose made version with a belt mount, you wear it.

Now why would I want to strap a vortex cold air gun on my hip ?

Because the cold air outlet feeds a hose running up my back.

Into my sandblasting helmet.

I your case, the cold air adds no lubricity, just remove heat,
you may be just fine.

I have one that I will use to clear chips while drilling. Often I drill hundreds of holes at a time and the cold air gun will keep the drill press clean without me grabbing my overhead air hose. I regulate the air going into it so it is not full blast.

Peter

I doubt the vortex tube will do much for you in aluminum, that a blast a regular shop air wouldn't do at lower CFM. Especially since you have coolant. If heat is a problem, that will do much better and add lubricity as well.

On the other hand, it can make a difference with distortion in surface grinding if you can't or don't want to use coolant.

I run then as I like to do all machining dry. (even though they eat tons of money in compressed air).
Not much help in Al over a normal compressed air blow off without the waste so I'm not thinking great for your app.
They will not help with welding at the cutting edge which is normally the Al problem.
Even a low flow mister with WD-40 may do miles better.
Bob

Thank you for responding.

Yeah......it didn't work too well so I switched over to the mister last night. It just wasn't cutting clean.

Shop air isn't a concern as our "backup" compressor is rated 50 CFM. I have no idea what the two main compressors are rated, each but it's a lot.

Does cold air work well when milling plastic?

Thank you for responding.

Yeah......it didn't work too well so I switched over to the mister last night. It just wasn't cutting clean.

Shop air isn't a concern as our "backup" compressor is rated 50 CFM. I have no idea what the two main compressors are rated, each but it's a lot.

Air blast of any sort works well for plastics, in general. The other commenters are correct that a standard compressed air nozzle is more efficient, with more force to clear chips directed more accurately. Cold air guns are less efficient in CFM consumption, but if you need the temperature drop and can't use coolant, they may be useful. If compressed air supply is unlimited, I find a strong air blast from a standard air nozzle works very well. If you can clear chips in plastics milling, that's 90% of the battle in overheating the material.

Turning and milling plastic is where the cold air gun will be really useful, especially when you are machining through the paper or film protective materials. We had a job turning plastic discs that were laser cut with the paper still on them and we wanted the paper to stay on till the customers get the parts for protection up to the final installation.

I can cut the cycle times on my plastic parts in half if I use coolant instead of air blast. Lots of good coolant is hard to match when machining.

Love those temperature sensors!

Back