What's new
What's new

collet material

sbburke

Plastic
:)Greetings! Would 12L14 make a good collet? I Thank you in advance for any thoughts.

For low stress, infrequent use it's probably fine, but if you're going to use it for any length of time you'd likely be much better off with a pre-hard 4xxx steel. What's the application?

what kind of collet? if you are making something like an er collet i probably needs to be hardened. torque for er32 nut is over 100 lbs ft.

Thank You for the quick responses. Collet is for an older bullet puller to be used in a reloading press,- no motors involved.Only thought of the 12L14 because I have some. Probably have 1144, 8620, 4140, floating around,and 360 brass, but this 12L14 is close in diameter to finished collet.-Rich

Don't use the 1144. I thought it ("stressproof) would be good for some collets for woodworking machines i used to sell. The originals are not hardened, so that was not a factor. It machines & especially threads nicely, but tends to close up when slit. If it is machined assymetrically, it can distort. I have used 4140 prehard and like it. 5c E-collets and collets for soft work are sometimes made (can be bought) in brass and in nylon, among other materials, so making one only out of 12L14 for lead or jacketed bullets should work fine for a while, at least. Easy enough to try if you are only making one.

If it needs to be hardened, S7 is about the easiest material to use in the homeshop. Easy machining, air hardening (with foil in a furnace), low distortion.

smt

I would suggest that if he wants to save time and money, to simply purchase a steel emergency collet and simply
machine the shape he wants into that.

Anyone know which plastic(s) is/are used for plastic emergency collets?

I've seen nylon 5C's available, and brass come to that.

However the word ''COLLET'' covers a multitude of types (and sins)

Over the years I've made various types ofcollets from our equivalent of 12l14, brass - various, bronzes - various, 6000 & 7000 series Alus, acetal - aka delrin, nylon 6 & 66, PEEK, boxwood, and even PTFE.

All of them did what they were asked to do, so it's down to application.

Over the years I've made various types ofcollets from our equivalent of 12l14, brass - various, bronzes - various, 6000 & 7000 series Alus, acetal - aka delrin, nylon 6 & 66, PEEK, boxwood, and even PTFE.

I hope you didn't think that the mention of "boxwood" was going to slip by without a need for 'splainin'...(?) Better fess up ;-)

Anyone know which plastic(s) is/are used for plastic emergency collets?
The "Nylon" Emergency Collets I have are made of Acetal, Commonly referred to as Delrin, which is a DuPont trademark. Actual Nylon would make a poor collet, IMHO. The Delrin machines well, and is not affected by changes in humidity.

The Boxwood should work well for Square collets......

Grabbing a lead or copper plated bullet I expect 12L14 will last a long time. Before you wear the first iteration out you will have a better idea anyway.

Back