What's new
What's new

Are parting tool inserts proprietary to each manufacturer?

Pete F

Titanium
I've been using Kennametal A2022N00CR02 in 5025 and they seem pretty good, certainly long lasting. It seems the CF are easier to get than the CR and I'd be happy to give them a go. However I wondered if there was a standard for parting tool inserts as there is for conventional turning inserts? Or does each manufacturer come up with its own system? I always try to keep my eyes open for alternative brands for inserts that may be available in runouts or on special etc, but wonder if I may be snookered in this case and need to use Kennametal inserts for my blade?

Thanks

I've used iscar, sandvik, taegutec and simtek parting tools and they all have very similar tool life but none of them share the same shape insert. So from my experience no there is no "standard". Not to say it doesn't exist, I'm yet to see it that's all.

Everything in my shop is Sandvik. I don't think they can be beat. IMO they put more effort into R&D than any other manufacturer. You can't go wrong with these guys we stick with one brand in the shop unless they don't offer a tool for the job. I haven't run into that yet with Sandvik

Everything in my shop is Sandvik. I don't think they can be beat. IMO they put more effort into R&D than any other manufacturer. You can't go wrong with these guys we stick with one brand in the shop unless they don't offer a tool for the job. I haven't run into that yet with Sandvik

I use a shitload of sandvik stuff. Most of it is brilliant but it's the next day delivery that I find outstanding. Having said that though there are a few things in the sandvik range that aren't as good as other brands, but overall they are definitely right up the top of the list.

Try some ISCAR stuff, price alone can kick sandvik's rear end. I have real good succes with there milling inserts in hardox. Also lathe inserts cost wise the Korroly inserts can be competitive too.

As to parting tools, outside of the std GTN, GTR or GTL there all pretty much unique. Some of the brands out there may be the same but its only because its the same OEM but branded differently by different front end dealers.

I've used iscar, sandvik, taegutec and simtek parting tools and they all have very similar tool life but none of them share the same shape insert. So from my experience no there is no "standard". Not to say it doesn't exist, I'm yet to see it that's all.

Thanks. Yes that was my take on it, but I wasn't sure. That's a shame as I'm not going to change my blade just to try another manufacturer's inserts.

I too like Sandvik, they put a lot of effort in to educational material which always wins me over. However I've always found actually finding specific inserts in their catalogues to order often confusing and difficult. No idea why that should be, maybe it's just me.

Don't know what it's like in other countries but in australia, if you're genuinely interested in another manufacturers tooling, then you simply hit them up for a trial run. They send out a brand new tool and a packet of inserts, you run it and If you don't like them you give them back. At the moment I'm using taegutec for parting off below 50mm diameter or 25mm wall thickness since they're just as good as anyone else and they're cheaper.

Ok, interesting. It still means buying a new blade one way or the other. How much are the Taegutec parting inserts for a packet of 10? I use 2.2 mm.

Without double checking records I think a double ended 3mm iscar insert was nearly 50 bucks each and taegutec is about 30 to 35 so it was a significant difference. Again don't quote me on that.

Without double checking records I think a double ended 3mm iscar insert was nearly 50 bucks each and taegutec is about 30 to 35 so it was a significant difference. Again don't quote me on that.

Holy Crap, 50 bucks!! Yeah that's getting up there. Ah yeah I know the type you're referring to. The inserts for my blade are single ended and I use them on my noodle lathe, but work out at A$10.80 each incl. GST. I had a quick flick through other manufacturer's and the prices seem to be similar. I just don't particularly like giving that distributor any business, but guess that's life sometimes. Thanks anyway.

Back