What's new
What's new

Composite materials machining - carbon fiber reinforced plastic, fiberglass etc

alender

Plastic
Hello, collegues!

Will be very thankfull for any comments and ideas about machining of composite materials, especially
carbon fiber reinforced plastic and fiberglass (which mostly use in aircraft industry).

Need to understand what is most important for the machinig process and machine tool (equipment): constant feedrate, dynamic (high speed), protection of all parts etc.

What manufacturers of machine tools are leaders now?
What is your experience with them?

Thank you so much in advance!

nobody has experience?
we are considering METROM machines from Germany for composite materials machining. Find them quite appropriate.

For milling composites I'd want excellent guideway covers and other features to prevent dust from getting into the machine mechanisms. Also provisions for dust collection to control release of harmful materials into the shop environment.

Another thing I'd want is confirmation of spindle lubrication containment. My Haas spindles constantly spit out micro droplets of oil, which contaminate composite or medical materials.

For anything else you need to give us an idea of the size and tolerance range of the materials you plan to cut. And what tooling you plan on using - routers, grinding pins, etc. You need to think about fixturing too, many composite parts are so oddly shaped that holding them is a challenge.

Back