What's new
What's new

Compressor Pump Valve Plate Failure

billyt0020

Plastic
Hey Guys,

I bought an old 80 Gallon Speedaire 2 Stage Compressor for next to nothing that I am rebuilding to use in my home garage.

The pump (5z404B) was getting hung up and not advancing more then half a shaft turn before stopping. When I pulled off the head I found that the valve plate broke and the pieces were sitting on top of the piston preventing a full rotation, and they also put some grooves in the top of the pistons. Cylinder walls look good. After I removed them, I now have full rotation back and the motor moves freely. At a minimum, the valve plate will need to be replaced, but I’m wondering if I should have the score marks from the top of piston taken out at a machine shop.

As it stands if I leave them as is, it’s about a $125 repair for just the valve plate, which will be switched to the new solid style design with O rings instead of paper gaskets. The kit with new piston rings is about $185 plus whatever the machine shop would charge me. The pistons become cost prohibitive to replace at $200 each, plus the valve plate and ring kit would put me at $600 parts plus the machine shop time, when a similar pump can be bought new for around $700.

So I guess my question is would you repair the Pistons and install new rings or just put on a new valve plate and top end gasket kit and use the pump as is. I’m not sure how the piston top grooves would affect performance on a compressor pump. Here are the pictures of the piston tops.

Thanks in advance for your help.
Billy

Back