What's new
What's new

Corner Radius on Rectangular Tubing?

Kelly Anderson

Aluminum
I am working to design a part to fit over 1" x 2-1/2" rectangular steel tubing which hasn't arrived yet. Is there an industry standard that calls out the exterior corner radius for this size of tubing?

There's a bunch of variations on this theme. "Standard" rectangular tube radius will vary with wall thickness. I'm sure there's also "low-radius" square steel tube, like there is in Al.

Can you make the inside corners of the female part sharp, so that it doesn't really matter what the radius of the male part's corners are? (That sounds dirty. It wasn't meant to.)

Regards.

Finegrain

exterior corner radius for this size of tubing?

At least two wall thicknesses with considerable variations from one corner to the next to be expected.

I.E., on my 3 X 6 X 3/16 wall in the shop, the exterior corner radius is about 7/16 to almost 9/16". Not necessarily uniform radii, either.

John Oder

Lots of box in this country is supplied to a std set of ratios, well pritty near any rate. 1 corner is oftern diffrent to the other 3 though, but this is generaly only on 3" Square and 1/4" Thick upwards. The smaller stuffs held pritty good

Like Mr. Oder says, the standards (or at least the end product) are pretty loose. I have noticed a lot of variation from one stick to the next in the same bundle.

One area where you will find the tubing makers do not vary a lot is in wall thickness. The standard allow for something like a +/-10% variation from the stated thickness and you can be sure they will all be right at 10% below. For example, go measure some 5/16 wall tube and it usually is right around .031 shy of .312.

Kelly,

According to the U.S., AISC Steel Construction Manual, hollow sections down to 2 x 2 square & 3 x 2 rectangular tubing have a nominal outside radius of 2 x thickness.

Regards from Melbourne,Australia,

AAB

One area where you will find the tubing makers do not vary a lot is in wall thickness. The standard allow for something like a +/-10% variation from the stated thickness and you can be sure they will all be right at 10% below. For example, go measure some 5/16 wall tube and it usually is right around .031 shy of .312.

I've used a fair bit of RHS over the years, and yes all the suppliers are remarkably consistent in this area. The tube is always spot on at the lowest specified thickness.

I've used a fair bit of RHS over the years, and yes all the suppliers are remarkably consistent in this area. The tube is always spot on at the lowest specified thickness.

Back