What's new
What's new

OT. removing one way screws

rusty ripple

Cast Iron
i'm trying to remove some burglar bars but i cant figure out to remove the one way screws. anyone know the easiest way to do this before i start grinding them off?

If they are the screw type I would use a cut-off disc and sharpen the area that is "ramped" to resist unscrewing. Or weld as stated is another possibility.

i thought about grinding a slot out and unscrewing, that was what i was hoping to avoid, i was hoping there was a special wrench or attachment. looks like im grinding....

McMaster Carr:

One-Way Screw Removal Tools

One-way screws can be installed with a slotted screwdriver but can only be removed with either these hand tools or one-way screw drill bits (see 5713A on page 2787). Apply downward pressure on tool until its prongs dig into the screw. Then, rotate tool to extract the screw. Blades are carbide steel; handles are plastic.
One-way screw removal tools are for removal only. Screws that are corroded or were installed with power tools must be drilled out.

For
Screw For Screw Blade Blade O'all
Size Head Dia. Dia. Lg. Lg. Each

4, 6, 8 0.193"-0.384" 5/16" 3 1/2" 7 1/8" 7392A52 $17.88

10, 12 0.306"-0.487" 3/8" 3 9/16" 7 3/8" 7392A63 18.63

14-24 0.389"-0.787" 7/16" 3 5/8" 7 5/8" 7392A64‡ 20.25

‡ Also for 1/4", 5/16", 3/8" screw sizes.

3-Piece One-Way Screw Removal Tool Set— Includes one of each tool listed above. Packed in a vinyl pouch.
3-Piece Set

i had seen those but thought they were for the screws that have two little holes in them-the screws you always seen in airport bathrooms. it didnt occur to me, even though they said one way screw remover, that they were for were one way screws. couldn't see how it worked, now i get it. thanks.

i think if i was trying to break in, i'd just cut the bars with a pair of bolt cutters, don't think that 1/4" round bar is going to keep me out for long

Back